IPA yeast recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltybp

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking at making an IPA extract kit from AHS. The recommended yeasts are:
WLP001
Wyeast 1056
Danstar Nottingham dry

Can I save some $$ and use dry?
Thanks,
Bill

I feel like I got much better attenuation with liquid yeast and a starter over the dry/rehydrated stuff.

But, I've read of many people who make great beer with Nottingham. It seems to be a personal choice.

If you are going to use dry yeast then I would try and get Safale-5 or 56 (same yeast). It is essentially the same yeast as Wyeast 1056 which is awesome for clean APA’s.

Yes. Go with the dry for your IPA.

I actually love Nottingham, and think it's great in an IPA. It's cheap, clean, and reliable. It's my go-to for clean, crisp beers. I highly recommend it, especially as you'd need to make a starter for either of the liquid yeasts. This is an occasion where you can save some money and time and get great results with Nottingham. I prefer it to the S-05, which is the dry equivalent of the Chico strain. They give the same basic character, though I've had slightly better results with the Nottingham. S-05 is a great alternative, too, but I love and trust Nottingham.

Latest posts

Back