IPA with Saison yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
So I was thinking about making a small IPA and fermenting it with saison yeast, and was looking for some criticism. I don't want this to be a belgian style with american hops. I want this to be an American IPA that is fermented with belgian yeast.

Recipe: Centennial B-IPA
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 38.1 %
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 38.1 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.5 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 9.5 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.8 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 20.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 16.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 12.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 6.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 Yeast 10 -
3.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14.13 qt of water at 163.0 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.67 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Belgian with American...American with Belgian... 6 of one half dozen of the other. Obviously an American IPA is typified with a clean yeast profile, an unobtrusive malt character, and citrus hops. With the 3711 you can toss out the clean yeast profile aspect. So, I would toss the MO and the aromatic and let the malt bill be driven by American 2-row and some crystal. I would also avoid a single hop and really drive the IPA aspect with 3 or more varieties (can't go wrong with simcoe and amarillo) using hop bursting as you already are.

How did this come out? I was thinking of doing a Saison IPA but sticking more toward the Saison style. I am still unsure what hops to use, amarillo, saaz, Styrian Goldings?

I want to try this since I don't have any fermentation control at the moment and will most likely be fermenting in the upper 70's to low 80's ambient room temperature. I'm going to make a swamp cooler to try to keep it below that but I feel using a good saison yeast at those temps I should still get something drinkable at least.

Haven't come up with any grains or hop combinations yet does anyone have any suggestions? I want it to have a more piney hop profile to counter the spiciness of that yeast.

For a pine profile, Northern Brewer and Simcoe are my favorites; IMO NB has more of a true pine quality to it.

You're going to get a lot of interesting flavors at those temps, so I suggest a grain bill with a nice malt profile i.e. an East Coast-style IPA. Perhaps something with a nice helping of Munich malt?

@A2HB
if u use a cooler, s-05 will do fine at 70-75. fill it partially with water, freeze some plastic bottles to change in and out, maybe a wet t-shirt and ull be fine.
Alls you really need is to focus on the first 2-3 days of fermentation. id suggest 4-5 bottles out of the gate to cool it down and then maintain with a bottle or 2 swap a day for another 2-3 days, then room temp is fine.

otherwise if u wanna go belgian yeast, a belgian pale ale or saison with european hops would be good. maybe some chinook for that piney flavor u want. Sorachi Ace is my favorite in a saison, lemony/spicy.

Back