IPA with late hops ONLY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted an IPA wile hopping ONLY at 30min or later? I'm thinking about the following hop additions for a 10 gallon batch with my target IBUs at 65 and an OG of 1.065:
All pellet hops:
30min - 1oz - Chinook 12AA
30min - 3oz - Cascade 6.3AA
15min - 3oz - Cascade 6.3AA
15min - 1oz - Willamette 6.5AA
5min - 2oz - Willamette 6.5AA

I did an IIPA with a good deal of late hop additions, but I also had a ton of hops at the beginning of the boil too (Hopacles link in my signature).

It would certainly be an interesting experiment, and it's one that I plan on trying with an IPA sometime myself. If you brew this, please report back your results.

So your looking for hop flavor as much as the bitterness, that is what I get from your recipe. If you like the flavor of willamette(your final additions) try saving your last addition til after flameout. Lower the temps to 180f and steep the last addition for about 30mins. The flavor contribution is amazing. Check my Pale ale recipe, the flavor of the hops really stands out.

what's the desired effect?

i mean, it seems like you want more hop flavor and aroma but with less bitterness, but what's the reasoning behind 4 oz at 30 min over 1-2 at 60?

Today was brewday on my new IPA which was heavy on the late hops.

OG: 1.057

1 oz Centennial (9.7) @ 60
1 oz Centennial (9.7) @ 20
1 oz Amarillo (8.4) @ 20
1 oz Amarillo (8.4) @ 7
1 oz Cascade (6.7) @ 7
1 oz Centennial (9.7) @ 1

I'm planning on dry-hopping this baby with an ouce each of Centennial & Amarillo. I tasted great going into primary.

I'm going to make this IIPA in about a week:

2 oz. Simcoe Pellets, 11.9 % First Wort Hop
1 oz. Liberty Pellets, 4.0% First Wort Hop

1 oz. Centennial Whole 8.6% boiled 45 min. info
1 oz. Simcoe Pellets, 11.9 % boiled 45 min. info

1 oz. Centennial Whole 8.6% boiled 10 min. info
1 oz. Amarillo Whole 9.8% boiled 10 min. info

2 oz. Centennial Whole 8.6% boiled FLAMEOUT – 60 seconds
2 oz Amarillo Whole 9.8% boiled FLAMEOUT – 60 seconds

2 oz. Amarillo Whole 9.8% DH In the SECONDARY

Edit: I know this looks borderline irresponsible given hop shortages, etc. The centennials are 2006 (I'm almost positive), and I've got ~ 1lb of amarillo. This beer is really for my brother. He's graduating from college, he's a real hop-head (I've taught him well), and he said lets make a graduation beer. When I asked him what kind, there was no hesitation - IIPA. This will be the last IPA I make for a loooong time. Kolsch, pale ale, amber, and porter will be my standard rotation for a while.

DuPuma said:
Edit: I know this looks borderline irresponsible given hop shortages, etc. The centennials are 2006 (I'm almost positive), and I've got ~ 1lb of amarillo. This beer is really for my brother. He's graduating from college, he's a real hop-head (I've taught him well), and he said lets make a graduation beer. When I asked him what kind, there was no hesitation - IIPA. This will be the last IPA I make for a loooong time. Kolsch, pale ale, amber, and porter will be my standard rotation for a while.

I was just about to ask if you won the lotto to afford to be able to brew that bad boy. 13 oz of hops in one batch!!! Given an average of around $3 oz you're spending $39 just for the hops!!! Hope it turns out great!! :mug:

john from dc said:
what's the desired effect?

i mean, it seems like you want more hop flavor and aroma but with less bitterness, but what's the reasoning behind 4 oz at 30 min over 1-2 at 60?

90 minutes - no aroma, no flavor, maxed bitterness
20 minutes - no aroma, maxed flavor, 25% of max bitterness
10 minutes - 85% of max aroma, 20% of max flavor, 15% of max bitterness

You get no flavor or aroma from full boil hops (maxed bitterness), but the reverse is not true - when hops are at or near their max for flavor or aroma, you still get some bitterness. So the idea is add as much late hops as possible to get the full amount of bittering needed but with massive flavor and aroma.

Read this from the current king of homebrewing.

I have done an all late hop in an APA but not an IPA. In the IPA, I add a half ounce at the beginning and get about a quarter to a third of my IBUs from that, then massive late hops for the intense flavor and aroma.

There is good article on late hopping on the Mr. Malty site. It is written by Jamil Z. and goes into fairly good detail about the effects and different techniques of late hopping. He also talks with a couple of commercial brewers and how they use late hooping in their beers.

I have yet to try this technique but it is intriguing and reportedly gives outstanding flavor and aroma. Your IPA sounds great, I can't wait to hear how it turns out. Report back, please.

Cheers

Ooompa Loompa said:
I was just about to ask if you won the lotto to afford to be able to brew that bad boy. 13 oz of hops in one batch!!! Given an average of around $3 oz you're spending $39 just for the hops!!! Hope it turns out great!! :mug:

It ain't cheap, thats for sure. Most of the hops were from a bulk freshops order in late Nov. LHBS had a bit of simcoe laying around at $3/oz. I've still got approx. 3# various, in addition to all the amarillo (my personal fav for APA/IPA). When he said IIPA, at first I though "shoot there goes 1/4 of my hops." But then I said what the hell. I need to use the centennial anyway, and he's graduating from college, I'm graduating from law school. Its a celebration, damnitt. This won't be a session beer, to say the least.

But based on some of the reading, I think I'm going to revise my schedule a bit to get even more flavor/aroma. As written, its 150 IBU+. I think we can get down to 125 or so, but with more aroma.

Edit #2: His favorite beer is Dreadnaught. At $10 a 22 oz., if we can make something in the same genre, and it tastes good, he won't buy as much of that.

surfbrewer said:
There is good article on late hopping on the Mr. Malty site. It is written by Jamil Z. and goes into fairly good detail about the effects and different techniques of late hopping. He also talks with a couple of commercial brewers and how they use late hooping in their beers.

I have yet to try this technique but it is intriguing and reportedly gives outstanding flavor and aroma. Your IPA sounds great, I can't wait to hear how it turns out. Report back, please.

Cheers

This is a great reference article for anyone thinking about doing a brew that's heavy in late hop additions.

I have been brewing exclusively big-double IPA's with tons of hops. All of my beers have had at least 16 ounces of hops and most have been late hops in an effort to achieve big hop flavor and aroma, until recently.
To say the least, the reality of the hop shortage has struck me hard.
However, I have found a solution to replace using a ton of late hops for aroma and flavor. I use a french coffee press to steep a strong hop tea, which I add to the beer at several stages.
I make a tea with wort which I add to the fermenter. I make a strong hop tea and add it to the secondary and another to the keg. Altogether, I maximize the utilization of the hops and add them to the beer using a strategy which ensures that I extract the maximum flavor possible. I find that adding a strong hop tea to the keg is the most efficient avenue to achieve maximum late-hop aroma and flavor.

http://www.worldmarket.com/kitchen-...ARRIVAL_FLAG|1||CATEGORY_SEQ_3009|0/index.pro

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
90 minutes - no aroma, no flavor, maxed bitterness
20 minutes - no aroma, maxed flavor, 25% of max bitterness
10 minutes - 85% of max aroma, 20% of max flavor, 15% of max bitterness

You get no flavor or aroma from full boil hops (maxed bitterness), but the reverse is not true - when hops are at or near their max for flavor or aroma, you still get some bitterness. So the idea is add as much late hops as possible to get the full amount of bittering needed but with massive flavor and aroma.

Read this from the current king of homebrewing.

I have done an all late hop in an APA but not an IPA. In the IPA, I add a half ounce at the beginning and get about a quarter to a third of my IBUs from that, then massive late hops for the intense flavor and aroma.
Great article, thanks for posting that.
the purpose of my 30 min addition would be to extract some bitterness that I wouldn't get from the 15 or 5 min addition. I'm thinking I'll take niquejim's advice and make my last addition of Willamette after flame out instead of at 5min.

Now here's a follow up question for niquejim: I've never hopped after flame out. I use an immersion chiller. will I drop the temperature with that, let it sit for 30 min at 180 then chill the rest of the way? What effect will the 30 min have on the final product (independent of that hop addition)? Anything else I should know prior to utilizing this technique?

Back