IPA with lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess would be that you could achieve that end by altering the grain bill rather than changing the yeast. Though it's a very interesting question.

have you had the sam adams hallertau imperial pilsner? That is a nice clean hoppy beer, if you can still find some I suggest you give it a taste, you may want to replicate that recipe.

I would love to try and make that but I can't get Hallertau. That's why I thought American hops in a IPL. I think I'll try "bravo" hops.

I haven't done it (can't lager) but I've had a couple of "IPLs". Bruery humulus lager and ballast point fathom. Both were bone dry, crisp versions of IPAs. However, you realize how the yeast coaxes some flavors out of hops. Without the fruity ale yeasts, the hops were less big juicy citrus and had more grassy, herbal, floral notes. The citrus and tropical fruit notes were there, but subdued.

Back