IPA with HopShot and 1lb Citra hop steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schematix

Reaction score
Looking forward to my next IPA. I've got 2lbs of CY2015 Citra and 1lb CY2015 Simcoe burning a hole in my freezer.

Grain bill is has a little complexity, but isn't over the top. Aiming for 1.060 (10G batch):

17.0 lb Cargill Special Pale
3.0 lb Weyermann Munich
2.0 lb Briess Victory
1.0 lb C10L

Hops is where I want to make it different and very simple
10mL hop shot @ 60 min (50 IBU)
1lb Citra hop steep for 60min at 180F.

No dry hops

Anyone care to offer their opinion?

Add dry hops.

Unless you'd like to see the amount of aroma you can get out of the huge charge during the steep. Sounds cool.

Anyway, in. For science.

Last edited:
This is all in the name of science..

Option 1:

16oz steep

0oz dry hops

Option 2:

12oz steep

4oz dry hops

Option 3:

8oz steep

8oz dry hops

???

Personally, option 2 sounds like a win, but I've never touched option 1, which is intriguing.

Personally, option 2 sounds like a win, but I've never touched option 1, which is intriguing.

Last pale ale I made i had 4oz of centennial and 8oz of cascade. Original recipe I made called for 2oz of centennial at 60, then 6oz steep and 4oz dry hop. About 10 minutes into the steep i said fudge the dry hop, and threw in all the remaining hops. The beer turned out fantastic. The flavor has really hung on for a long time too.

I'm leaning towards option 1 or 2. Option 1 intrigues me as well too.

I just made an ipa and used about 20 oz of hops. I used a combination of Amarillo and Mosaic. I did a FWH addition of ~2 oz and the rest was dumped at 15 min to flame out and then another addition at 145-150 degrees. I would definitely say I made an IPA and I am happy with the hop bitterness and aroma and flavor. No need to dry hop with this one and I will be tasting it in a few weeks when its ready. I only produced 15 litres of finished product as opposed to 18-19 litres that I usually produce, fu trub loss!.

I have only dry hopped once ~3oz and it was extremely potent using a hop with only 5%aa max ~5 gallon batch.

What about option 4?
1lb citra steep and 1lb citra dryhop.

You know you thought about it.

I actually typed out an option 4 using 1lb of citra and 8oz of simcoe dry hop, before erasing it.

I want to keep this one at a lb or less. Version 2 will most definitely use 24-32oz though, and probably another 10-15 gravity points.

So the fundamental question is how to distribute that 1lb of citra?

I just made an ipa and used about 20 oz of hops. I used a combination of Amarillo and Mosaic. I did a FWH addition of ~2 oz and the rest was dumped at 15 min to flame out and then another addition at 145-150 degrees. I would definitely say I made an IPA and I am happy with the hop bitterness and aroma and flavor. No need to dry hop with this one and I will be tasting it in a few weeks when its ready. I only produced 15 litres of finished product as opposed to 18-19 litres that I usually produce, fu trub loss!.

I have only dry hopped once ~3oz and it was extremely potent using a hop with only 5%aa max ~5 gallon batch.

Historically I've *always* dry hopped my hoppy beers. It has only been recently I started backing off the method in order to create something different. 3-6oz per 5G is my IPA standard dry hop.

Been on brewing hiatus now since early January due to an extended basement renovation project. However that is about to come to an end.

I'm going to pull the trigger on this experiment and should be able to report back in about 3-4 weeks.

Recipe will be as follows:

17 lbs cargill special pale
3 lbs weyerman munich II
1lb victory
1lb C10

Going to do my standard Hochkurz mash. 20 mins at 145, 30 minutes at 158 and 10 minutes at 169.

Hops will be..... drumroll please....
10mL hop shot at 60 min
16oz CY2015 Citra at 180F for 1 hour

Yeast is going to be Omega Labs 052.

I really can't see this beer sucking at all.

Results are in:

There is a ton of flavor and aroma in this beer. It's like drinking a glass of orange pineapple mango juice.

The glaring error in the beer is the lack of bitterness. The hopshot didn't work at all. - This is a 20 IBU IPA. The little bitterness that is present is very smooth though.

I finally got around to making version 2.0 of this and it's a totally different beast than the first one.

I tweaked the grain bill slightly (dropped crystal, upped the OG a couple points and had to sub some MO for the pale), but I totally overhauled the hop schedule.

1. Changed the hopshot to real hops: 2oz of Simcoe FWH for about 80 IBU

2. Added late boil hops: 2oz Simcoe at 20 min, 2oz Citra at 10min, 2oz Citra at 5 min

3. Changed the steep from a lb of Citra to 12oz split between Citra and Simcoe for an hour steep at 175 to 158.

Overall boil was 20oz of hops (10oz ea citra and simcoe).

The hydrometer samples have been nothing short of amazing. The bitterness is thick on the tongue and complex. Huge flavors of tropical fruit, orange and resinous pine. As it is right now it is a significant improvement over the last beer.

I'm going to dry hop with a 12oz split of Citra and Simcoe. I expect this beer will be nothing short of epic when done in a few weeks.

In summary, I wouldn't suggest making a beer with just a hopshot and a massive steep. It's big on flavor and aroma, but misses the mouth feel and bitterness of real hops that you get from boiling.

Back