IPA too long in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd38-2

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA back in May. I racked it into the secondary around memorial day and after being busy with work and other things, I haven't had the time to bottle. The IPA is still in my secondary fermenter and was dry hopped when I racked it into the secondary. I know it been in the fermenter a while, would it still be ok to bottle? Normally I'm very timely in bottle my beer but this summer has been very busy for me.

Taste a sample for any off flavor from the long dry hop, or most likely the lack of aroma. You may want to dry hop this one again.

some people say you will get a vegetal flavor from the hops (not to be confused with a vegetable flavor) in a super extended dry hop time, much like what you did. so just taste it. if it tastes like a warm, flat version of what you were going for, then you're good to go.

as suggested, if it has lost a lot of its aroma (which seems likely), then just dry hop again.

I'm always surprised how kick-ass the beer is even when I'm not Johnny on the spot with kegging or bottling.

I recently removed the dry hop from an IPA, cold crashed it for 3 days (only meant to do this for 24 hrs), gelled it, and left it cold crashed for another eight days (again, got busy, only meant to leave it for 3 days to clear it). I finally kegged it. Just tapped it yesterday. Awesome.

I know this is a "maybe it woulda been even better" kinda thing, but man, it is drinking so nice, it certainly doesn't seem like a beer with a problem. Also, I know your timeframes are longer, so I'd be interested to hear how this works out for you.

But I bet that's going to be a lovely beer once it carbs up.

Report results, please!

Last edited:
Should be fine. Long dry hop may cause a slight vegetal off flavor. If so, you may have luck removing it via gelatin fining and/or co2 scrubbing. Then, dry hop again to brighten it back up.

It should be fine. I once left one for 3 months with dry hops, and turned out great.

Like others have said, I'd recommend adding more dry hops and packaging in a week.

I too go with giving it a taste. Then if it doesn't have a nasty taste from being on the dry hops for so long, do an additional dry hop to replace the aroma which will have faded.

Back