IPA to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiMithing83

Reaction score
So I recently brewed my second batch, Brewer's Best IPA kit. I am considering racking to secondary in a few days here, but I am not sure if i should transfer the hop pellet remains into secondary as well. Is there even a point to this? How long does the dry hopping process take to impart flavor? Would I be better off just leaving it in primary for 3 weeks instead?

Thanks for the help HBT!

Leave it where it is. Unless you are adding more fermentables as well technically there's more risk than reward to transfer for dry hopping.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Don't I then run the risk of picking up off flavors from the yeast cake? If I leave it in the primary for 3 weeks I'm afraid it will alter, or worse, ruin, the flavor profile. I used Irish Moss for clarity, so I'm not terribly worried about that (also, I don't care how clear it is as long as it tastes good), but I do not want any weird flavors in my favorite style of beer.

If you already dry hopped in primary then there is no real point in moving beer to secondary. 3 weeks on the yeast cake is not going to leave any off flavors, if it were 3 months then that's a different story.

If you do want to move to secondary for some reason, you do not need to transfer the hop particles/trub with the beer to secondary. Dry hopping is usually done after 3 to 5 days.

Back