IPA Tastes Terrible. What to do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMagicHatter

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA that I put into a carboy and didn't have a blow off tube to allow the krausen to vent so it ended up back into the carboy. Wasn't until later that I learned this will likely add tannins into the brew, giving it some off flavors. Exactly what happened. It's extremely astringent and is an all around bad beer.

I saw a thread a long time ago with some recommendations as to what you can do with homebrew that doesn't turn out well but can't seem to find it now.

Any suggestions as to what I can do with this crappy brew?

I don't understand the first part of your post. Kraeusen isn't supposed to vent and will not lend any off flavors to your beer. It is supposed to drop and sit in with the dormant yeast on the bottom of your fermenter.

How long ago did you brew it? Is it possible that it simply needs to condition more? Tannins, assuming that's the real problem, would likely be caused by something else in your process. A few more details might help us narrow down your problem. I would suggest letting it sit for a while. Time will often improve a beer immensely, assuming there isn't an infection.

Are you tasting it chilled and carbed or pulling a sample?

Not sure who told you that not removing the krausen with cause off flavors and introduce tannins? Never heard that one before
Might have been your fermenting temps if its to "hot" or over hoped if its to bitter

Whats your recipe look like?

I don't understand the first part of your post. Kraeusen isn't supposed to vent and will not lend any off flavors to your beer. It is supposed to drop and sit in with the dormant yeast on the bottom of your fermenter.

How long ago did you brew it? Is it possible that it simply needs to condition more? Tannins, assuming that's the real problem, would likely be caused by something else in your process. A few more details might help us narrow down your problem. I would suggest letting it sit for a while. Time will often improve a beer immensely, assuming there isn't an infection.

+1!

Was this AG or extract. Astringency and tannins are difficult to get in an extract batch unless this was Partial Mash. are you sure you are tasting astringency and not something else.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

A blow off tube just allows excess krausen to go somewhere besides down the side of the carboy and on to the floor.
If it tasted bad, unfortunately it wasn't the krausen.

I brewed an IPA that I put into a carboy and didn't have a blow off tube to allow the krausen to vent so it ended up back into the carboy. Wasn't until later that I learned this will likely add tannins into the brew, giving it some off flavors.

You must unlearn what you have learned.

So it seems as though I have succumbed to being an overly anxious homebrewer. I tried the IPA after maybe 4 weeks after bottling, which lead me to believe it was crap. Little did I know that after 8 weeks, this IPA would taste great! It's since had plenty of time to condition and has become my best IPA to date. Lot's of hop flavor, with a nice malty kick to it.

It was an extract recipe along the lines of a Dogfish Head 60 minute. I'll see if I can find the recipe in my notes.

Thanks for the input gang.

I still am astonished at how a few weeks can change a beer. My current lager had a sweet taste after 3 weeks lagering, at 4 weeks the taste was incredible.

So it seems as though I have succumbed to being an overly anxious homebrewer. I tried the IPA after maybe 4 weeks after bottling, which lead me to believe it was crap. Little did I know that after 8 weeks, this IPA would taste great! It's since had plenty of time to condition and has become my best IPA to date. Lot's of hop flavor, with a nice malty kick to it.

It was an extract recipe along the lines of a Dogfish Head 60 minute. I'll see if I can find the recipe in my notes.

Thanks for the input gang.

Good to hear! Glad it turned out ok for you.

Not to worry though, you will have plenty more " this doesn't look right" moments ahead. If you really screw something up, you won't have to ask, you'll know.

Back