IPA tastes like apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Methose

Reaction score
That's right, not cider...apple juice.
Odd huh?

I helped a friend through hist first time brew; it was an extract for a typical IPA. LME, steeping grains (crystal, caramel), and hops.
He came over and brewed with me, and I let him borrow a bucket which he took home to watch it ferment.

I didn't hear anything back for months, and finally got a hold of him. It'd been sitting there for months UN-touched, and he wasn't sure it even ever bubbled.
He brought it over and I cracked the lid took a measurement and it was 1.012 out of a recipe set to end at 1.014, so I tasted it.
Apple juice, with a hint of hops bitterness.

I went ahead and kegged it, and it's probably fully carbed by now, but I tasted it a few nights ago and yup, apple juice.

Any thoughts?

Methose said:
That's right, not cider...apple juice. Odd huh? I helped a friend through hist first time brew; it was an extract for a typical IPA. LME, steeping grains (crystal, caramel), and hops. He came over and brewed with me, and I let him borrow a bucket which he took home to watch it ferment. I didn't hear anything back for months, and finally got a hold of him. It'd been sitting there for months UN-touched, and he wasn't sure it even ever bubbled. He brought it over and I cracked the lid took a measurement and it was 1.012 out of a recipe set to end at 1.014, so I tasted it. Apple juice, with a hint of hops bitterness. I went ahead and kegged it, and it's probably fully carbed by now, but I tasted it a few nights ago and yup, apple juice. Any thoughts?
possibly your cider is not carbonated? ;)

My first kit and kilo had an apple-y taste. Part of it was it being green, the other part I think was fermenting too warm.

Since you have no idea how this was fermented I would go with an issue during fermentation, the yeast not being able to convert the acetaldehyde back and that's the problem.

I would also say that letting an IPA sit for months in primary is not a good idea

hahha, I agree 100%. It wasn't my call, I tried to get in touch with him for a while.

I was mainly just curious if it was some sort of infection to be worried about drinking.
I've had about half a glass and it didn't kill me yet, so I'm not too worried, but didn't know if I should warn him. :tank:

hahha, I agree 100%. It wasn't my call, I tried to get in touch with him for a while.

I was mainly just curious if it was some sort of infection to be worried about drinking.
I've had about half a glass and it didn't kill me yet, so I'm not too worried, but didn't know if I should warn him. :tank:

As long as there isnt a noticeable film on top or terrible smell it should be ok, probably not the best beer but it can still be drank

Latest posts

Back