IPA: Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Want to brew a IPA, I want to keep it simple, I have messed around with recipe calculators and just want to see what HBT thought:

India Pale Ale
5-5.5 gallons

11# 2-Row Pale Malt
.75# Crystal 60L
(I want a slight amber color similar to Avery IPA or Small Batch 471, any suggestion concerning the grain bill in order to achieve this color)

60-90 min boil?

Hop Schedule
Amarillo 60 minute
Amarillo 30 minute
Cascade 15 minute
Cascade 5 minute

Any suggestions for dry hopping

My recipe for IPA used 1# of Crystal 60L, and came out looking like this:

DSCF0144.JPG

I also did dry hopping with 1oz Cascades and 1/2 oz of Willamette when I transferred this to the secondary. It sat in there for 10 days, and came out nice and hoppy with a great hop nose on it!

Toss in a 1/2# of carapils. I'm guessing that you are doing an ounce for each of those additions. Just working with those 4 oz of hops I suggest moving that 30 minute addition:

1.25 oz amarillo (60)
1 oz cascade (15)
.75 oz amarillo (10)
1 oz cascade (5)

Something like amarillo, cascade, centennial, columbus, etc would all work well for dry hopping this. Pick an oz of each and go crazy. Or an oz of any of em, will still have a great nose.

I second the carapils, or you could use caramunich, which would add body and a slight orange tint to your beer. The IPA I have mashed in right now has 8 oz crystal 120 and 4 oz caramunich. Might also think about a small wheat malt addition, say, 10-15%, adds good head retention and some body as well.

My recipe for IPA used 1# of Crystal 60L, and came out looking like this:

DSCF0144.JPG

I also did dry hopping with 1oz Cascades and 1/2 oz of Willamette when I transferred this to the secondary. It sat in there for 10 days, and came out nice and hoppy with a great hop nose on it!

thats a beautiful looking beer

Any of you ever tried melanoidin malt instead of a Crystal 60-90 ?? Last IPA I made, I used 1/2# melanoidin instead of Crystal and Dry Hopped with 1 oz Centennial and 1 oz Amarillo in the primary right after the fermentation started to slow down.

I am going to third the .5# carapils. I made a Two Hearted Ale clone a while back with a little carapils, and have been using it in most everything since.

Also recommend dry hopping with an oz or 2 of Cascade.

I can't even fathom an IPA thats not dry hopped :)

Back