IPA suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsekourian

Reaction score
Hallo all!!

Last IPA I brewed was something like this:

Type: All Grain (BIAB)
Batch Size (fermenter): 23,00 l
Boil Size: 35,49 l
Boil Time: 69 min (every boil hould be 69 mins)
End of Boil Volume 25,83 l
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72,00 %

Ingredients

5,00 kg Pale Malt (Weyermann) (3,3 SRM) 92,6 %
0,40 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (71,0 SRM) 7,4 %
17,00 g Goldings, East Kent [5,00 %] - First Wort 60,0 min 10,7 IBUs
40,00 g Goldings, East Kent [5,00 %] - Boil 60,0 min 22,8 IBUs
25,00 g Galena [12,50 %] - Boil 60,0 min 35,7 IBUs
20,00 g Goldings, East Kent [5,00 %] - Boil 10,0 min 4,1 IBUs
30,00 g Goldings, East Kent [5,00 %] - Boil 0,0 min 0,0 IBUs
5,00 g Galena [12,50 %] - Boil 0,0 min 0,0 IBUs
1,0 pkg Danstar BRY-97 (Lallemand #-) [23,66 ml] Yeast 9 -

Est Original Gravity: 1,053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1,052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1,009 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1,010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5,8 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5,5 %
Bitterness: 73,3 IBUs
Est Color: 9,6 SRM

At bottling day we realised that it may be infected. Nontheles, we bottled it, hoping the infection would spoil the final result to the point of having a bad beer!!! Hopefully, it came out as a very refreshing IPA (English-American, actually a combination) with a great pineapple aroma and very nice fruits and floral notes on the taste.
So we decided to brew it again, with an extra malt and an extra hop as late additions (probably at flameout). So, that's the point where I want your suggestions.
As for the malt, we thought of a Crystal, around 40-60L, for the caramel notes it implant. I also thought of Melanoidin Malt, for some biscuity, nutty flavors, and the classic caramel..
For the hops, I thought of a floral hop variety, and the first I thought of was Willamete. As I read, and from what I know, Willamete has an excellent aromatic profile, with a high oil percentage (especcialy myrcene and humulone) giving the floral and fruity notes we seek along with some spicy notes, which may blend well with the fruity character of Galena (also high myrcene) and the citrusy-spicy profile of East kent Goldings (also high humulone).

Please tell me your thoughts on the recipe and the additions, your suggestions and everything else you'd think it might blend well!!!

And a question: After flameout, how long do you think you should wait before cooling your wort??

not good at metric sir. i brew in imperial.

grain percentages look good. hop utilization looks good. i'm questioning your choice of EKG. that's not a typical hop for this kind of brewing. i would think an english IPA would be a large bittering addition and a large addition around 20 minutes or so.

Just know that 1 libre or 1 quart is 450 grams, 1 ounce is 28 grams, and the typical 5 gallon batch equals to 18.93 litres. The EKG is the classic widely used UK hop! Actually the recipe was taken as it is, as an easy recipe, in order to learn our new equipment. I would probably change it to Challenger. But I like to make one change at a time just to see the difference and learn the different ingredients. So, my main question is, what can I use as a late addition for a nice floral profile??

Back