IPA Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
Brewing this up tomorrow, any suggestions to the hops schedule:

6.6 lbs light lme
1 lb light dme
1 lb corn sugar
.75 lb Baird 30L
.25 lb Melanoiden
.25 cara-pils
1 vial WLP 090

1 oz Apollo 60 minutes
1 oz Cascade 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade 10 minutes
1 oz Cascade 5 minutes
1 oz Cascade 1 minute
2 oz Cascade 7 days

An oz of Apollo at 60... that's gonna have a bite! Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Nice choice on the yeast, I'm a huge fan of 090.

If it were me, I'd drop the Melanoiden malt altogether and lower the C30 to .5 lbs- you'll get enough residual sugar from the malt extracts you're using... plus, melanoidens in an IPA?!?! ;)

Brulosopher said:
An oz of Apollo at 60... that's gonna have a bite! Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Nice choice on the yeast, I'm a huge fan of 090.

If it were me, I'd drop the Melanoiden malt altogether and lower the C30 to .5 lbs- you'll get enough residual sugar from the malt extracts you're using... plus, melanoidens in an IPA?!?! ;)

I am open to suggestions I may cut the apollo in half, I was curious about the melanoiden too but the guy at the hb shop said it will give it a nice malty character...it was literally $.54 so no loss there

Also to piggyback my previous reply, I can toss the melanoiden no problem but it is cracked already is there any way of saving this in the freezer or is it better to just scrap it at this point ?

I say use the Melandoin malt and see whether you like it. Its steeped, right? So its not like you're mashing it and getting fermentables out of it. The guys at your lbhs are right, it will add a more malty character to your beer. Its not standard in an IPA, but it sounds interesting.

Pappers_ said:
I say use the Melandoin malt and see whether you like it. Its steeped, right? So its not like you're mashing it and getting fermentables out of it. The guys at your lbhs are right, it will add a more malty character to your beer. Its not standard in an IPA, but it sounds interesting.

I would be steeping it with the carapils and the Baird 30L for about 20-30 minutes, this might be my wildcard malt, ill decide last minute probably, I have never used it before is there a good commercial example that uses it?

jdgapc said:
I would be steeping it with the carapils and the Baird 30L for about 20-30 minutes, this might be my wildcard malt, ill decide last minute probably, I have never used it before is there a good commercial example that uses it?

Not just the Melanoidin... that's a lot of unfermentables for an IPA. But go for it, see how you like it! That's what makes this so much fun.

so i used .75 oz if Apollo, decided to experiment and leave the malt bill as is. i noticed there is .5 lb of melanoiden, .5 lb carafoam and .5 lb crystal 60L in the zombie dust clone, here's to hoping the malt for mine turns out ok :cross:

This has been in the fermenter chugging away since Saturday, one concern is that the blowoff smells like esters amd I do not pick up any hop aromas should I be worried? It is currently at 66F and I used a nylon bag do my hop sack during the boil?

Also any thoughts on the dry hopping, I plan on using 2 oz of cascade, any thoughts on throwing an oz of pollo in the mix?

Apollo (sp)

For an IPA I really wouldn't do any less than 3 Oz. You can get a nice aroma from 2 Oz but it's rather subdued. It will be super floral if you do three, and I'd even consider dry hopping it twice.

BreezyBrew said:
For an IPA I really wouldn't do any less than 3 Oz. You can get a nice aroma from 2 Oz but it's rather subdued. It will be super floral if you do three, and I'd even consider dry hopping it twice.

Ok great so ill try the 2oz of cascade and 1oz of apollo thrown in together one the krausen subsides, thanks

Ok great so ill try the 2oz of cascade and 1oz of apollo thrown in together one the krausen subsides, thanks

I can't really say if the Apollo will be good as a dry hop... Someone else may be able to answer that.

Bottled and sampled this weekend smells and tastes great very fruity I get a ton of orange and a sweet type of grapefruit tasted real nice glad I went with the melanoiden who knew

Back