IPA repeatability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
When attempting to repeat an IPA when the hop AA's are different from crop to crop, do most of you attempt to obtain the same IBU's or same flavor/aroma? If you go for same IBU's do you alter your boiling times or do the formula to achieve the proper IBU's with same boil times as previous recipe?

When making substitutions of the same hop with different AA%, I substitute each hop addition based upon adding an equivalent amount of AAs. For instance when substituting 20 grams of 10% AA hops at a 60 minute addition with the same hop having 11% AA, I take the AA contribution (20g x 10 = 200 AA units) and convert that to the new AA content (200 AA units / 11 = 18.2 g).

For dry hopping, I tend to keep the hop addition constant unless I have a full report on the total oil content for the hops I am looking to replace. Then I will do the same calculation using total oil content in place of the AA%.

I try to use whole numbers so i dont end up with .75 oz of 3 different hops sitting in my freezer for 6 months. So while adding or subtracting a couple grams is probably the best way, im more likely to change the timing of the addition by 5 minutes or whatever small amount it takes.

Back