IPA Recipie - What Do You Think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
Hey guys, getting ready to brew my 2nd batch this weekend. The 1st one I did was a clone kit, but I'm itching to try my own thing now.

My goal is a citrus-y IPA with lots of grapefruit aroma and taste with a smooth bitterness at the end. I want it around 6.5% abv. My cousin is going to help me brew it, and it's going to be a tribute to the summers we spent growing up out on the lake at our grandparent's house in Florida.

Batch Size: 5.5gal - Full Boil (60 minutes)
Est. OG: 1.067
Est. FG: 1.017
Est. ABV: 6.5%
IBUs: 64.4

Amount Item Type % or IBU

Sugars/Grains:
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - Grain 8.97 %
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract 53.81 %
3.15 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] 28.25 %
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) - Add at Flame-out 8.97%

Hops: All are whole-leaf hops. I will use hop/grain bags.

1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale Liquid Packs

As you can see it is pretty heavy on the late hop additions to get the big aroma and flavor I want. Also, I added 1lbs of orange blossom honey to boost the abv, and dry out the mouth-feel a little in the finished beer, and it goes with the Florida theme. I was thinking about using honey for bottle conditioning as well.

The yeast is the same kind I used in my first batch and it worked well for me, so I'm going to use it again. Mr Malty calculator suggests using 2.6 packs (without a starter, which I won't have this time). I'm going to pitch 3 packs of it, would that be a problem?

This is a beer that I want to make several times. I plan to continually tweak it and make changes to improve it, and eventually convert it to all-grain when I make the jump.

Anything you guys see that doesn't look right, or I should consider adjusting?

I would drop the Crystal to .5 pounds. That extract already has some in it.

I stopped using those Wyeast packs and use US-05 dry yeast for the Chico strain and will never look back.

Looks good. Enjoy.

I would drop the Crystal to .5 pounds. That extract already has some in it.

I stopped using those Wyeast packs and use US-05 dry yeast for the Chico strain and will never look back.

Looks good. Enjoy.

Yeah, I've read a lot about US-05 on these forums. I'll maybe give that a shot next time so I can develop a taste/idea about different yeast strains.

It's the same strain as that 1056. Just cheaper, easier to store and no starter needed. Cut it open and sprinkle it on top.

Just did a similar recipe but with dry extract. The US-05 has been rocking for several days now. Looking forward to this one.

Looks pretty good.

I do something similar. I like 8oz c/40

Centenial for bittering and then Citra and Amarillo for the 15 minutes and down additions. Nice grapefruit falvor but very refreshing.

In fact I am drinking one right now. mmmmmm

Back