IPA Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wavesport

Reaction score
Anyone want to give this a once over?

Four Hop IPA

DME Lbs
Extra Light 7.5

Special Oz
Dextrine 16
2-Row 16
Biscuit 6

Hops:
Hop Oz. Time
Warrior 1.25 60
Cascade 1 60
Cascade .5 20
Palisade .5 20
Palisade .5 10
Citra .5 10
Citra .75 Dry Hopped
Cascade .75 Dry Hopped

Additives:
1 Whirlflock Tablet

Steeped grains and 1 Gallon 152 degrees Fahrenheit water for 30 minutes, sparge to fill up to 3 gallons (largest volume my brewpot can hold). Brought to a boil, turned off, mixed in malt extract, returned to a boil and added 1 oz. Cascade and 1.25 oz. Warrior. Added .5 oz. Cascade and .5 oz. Palisade at 20. Whirlflock at 20 .5 Oz. Palisade and .5 oz Cascade at 10. Boiled 60 minutes total. Cooled, added yeast, put in primary.

Primary: 1.5 weeks
Secondary: 5 days (added dry hops to secondary) in glass carboy
Bottle conditioned: 2-3 weeks

Thanks

peace and love
sam

Hi. Sorry, my formatting somehow got altered when I posted it, if anyone can not read it let me know

peace and love
sam

The grainbill looks good.

I like the hopping, but I'd move the 60 minute cascades to 5 minutes, one of the palisades addition closer to flame out. Otherwise, I like it!

I once hopped a cream ale with 1oz of Cascade at 60 and nothing else.

Which is to say, Cascade has very little bittering ability. Drop in an extra .25-.5 of Warrior at the 60 mark if you're afraid of it not being bitter enough.

I like Yooper's suggestion of the 5 minute additions, and like bernerbrau said you can always bump up the amount of the warrior for the 60 minute addition to get your IBU's back.

Back