IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will-D

Reaction score
I have a few things left over from previous batches and I've thrown it all together and want to know what y'all think. Beer Smith says all specs are within range of an American IPA, just wondering how it'll turn out. Any help will definitely be appreciated.

24 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lbs 6.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
6.4 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg Gigayeast Vermont IPA (Gigayeast #Vermont IPA) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

I am assuming 10 gallons - off the top of my head, I would probably do 1.5 Columbus at 60 and skip the 30 minute addition. But I'm lazy and like a good backbone bitterness. Late and dry hop additions look good - I'd drink that.

My kitchen sink beers usually turn into overhopped browns...

Thanks. Yep, 10 gallons, should have mentioned that.
I'll skip the 30 minute addition and add those at 60, I like a good bitterness too.

So, I made this beer like the recipe posted, except using 1.5 oz columbus hops at the 60 minute mark and none at 30. I kegged it up yesterday, force carbed at 30 psi overnight, dropped it down to 12 psi and just pulled a pint off. It's delicious! It's got a great aroma, and a very nice citrusy taste, love it. For my first "kitchen sink" DIY recipe I gotta pat myself on the back for this one :ban::mug:

Thanks for the suggestions on the recipe :mug:

This is the second glass I pulled out of the keg, it's still got a few floaters in it but I just couldn't throw it down the drain :drunk:

I usually rack from carboy to keg with a muslin bag on the outlet of the hose, I didn't on this one and it's definitely got more floaters coming out. I'm expecting them to clear within a pint or two but will go back to using a bag when racking to a keg.

Back