IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
I normally like to create my own recipes without much assistance, but I'm looking for some feedback here. Yes, I'm trying to create a hop bomb, but would like some of the biscuit/malty flavors to come through. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Test IPA
14-B American IPA

Size: 5.76 gal
Efficiency: 62.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 239.79 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.072 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 13.5 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 7.09% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 115.98 (40.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
8 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
8 lbs Maris Otter
.75 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L
.75 lbs Belgian Biscuit
.5 lbs Honey Malt
1 lbs Dextrine Malt
.75 oz Warrior (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.75 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.75 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.75 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 ea Danstar Nottingham

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.30

If hops are what you're looking for...I've found that adding the majority of my hops very late in the boil really helps them shine through. I'd throw in the Warrior and Chinook at 60 mins as you have it above, then wait until 10 minutes or less to throw in your Amarillo/Simcoe.

If I'm making a huge IPA, I'll start with bittering at 60 as mentioned above, then wait until 10 minutes or so left in the boil, and add a bit every minute or so until the end.

Then of course dry hop with 2 oz for a few weeks:D

I'd ditch the dextrine and just mash higher. I'd also consider cutting out the honey malt and reducing the biscuit and crystal to 0.5 lb each. With the 2 row and the British 2-row, there's plenty of malty flavor in there. You don't want to hide it with sweetness and too much biscuit. If you want to keep the OG, just add more base malts

I'll agree with blacklab on the hops. move the 30min addition later. Get the buk of bittering at 60 and then add hops at 10 and 5 minutes and you might want to dry hop as well. If you need to increase the 60min additions to get the IBUs where you want, go ahead.

Cool. You guys rock. I'll definately look at moving more of the hops to the end. I want each hop to add something to the brew, and not have one type be dominant.

Edit: I do plan on dry-hopping for sure, just don't know what combination I want to use yet.

I would get rid of the Dextrine and biscuit and keep 2 oz. of Honey Malt. I love this malt but keep it in small quantities. Add some munich or Vienna.
My IPA Mash Sched is FWH, 20, 10, minimum 1-1/2 oz. @ flameout. Dry hop like crazy. Mash at 148-150º.
Choosing hops is kinda like what candy bar you like most at the 7/11.

I've never used biscuit malt, so I was thinking that it might be an interesting addition to an IPA based on the flavor description. I'm going to give the FWH a try with this brew, and follow the other recommendations regarding hop additions.

In regards to dextrine, the plan is for a big fluffy white head, but if I can do it with mash temps and the other malts, I'll leave it out.

I like to mash hop my IPA's and mash at about 150-152 for 90 minutes to really dry them out.

I'm not one to tell people what to do with their grainbills, because that's the fun in brewing if you ask me, but if you're going for a hop bomb you may want to save those malts for something a little less hoppy so that they can really come through.

Latest posts

Back