IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csaga

Reaction score
Brewing an American IPA on Tuesday and wanted a critique of my planned recipe. It is as follows:

10 lbs American 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
2 lbs UK Maris Otter
1 lb Dark Munich
1 lb Golden Promise

Boil:
60 min - .5 oz Summit
20 min - Irish Moss
15 min - 1 oz Simcoe
10 min - 1 oz Amarillo
5 min - 1 oz Simcoe
0 min - 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Simcoe
Dry hop - 1 oz citra, 1 oz Amarillo

OG - 1.063
FG - 1.013
ABV: 6.4%
IBU 63
SRM: 6.5

The homebrew store is closeby, so it's not too late to change up this recipe if y'all think it's a total disaster. I'm relatively new to building my own recipes, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

5 different base malts?
I think its a bit over complicated. Id get rid of you golden promise and dark munich.
add a 1/2lb of a light crystal malt. and build the rest up with your 2-row

hopping looks pretty good. but maybe increase your 60 min to 0.75oz?

Brewing an American IPA on Tuesday and wanted a critique of my planned recipe. It is as follows:

10 lbs American 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
2 lbs UK Maris Otter
1 lb Dark Munich
1 lb Golden Promise

Boil:
60 min - .5 oz Summit
20 min - Irish Moss
15 min - 1 oz Simcoe
10 min - 1 oz Amarillo
5 min - 1 oz Simcoe
0 min - 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Simcoe
Dry hop - 1 oz citra, 1 oz Amarillo

OG - 1.063
FG - 1.013
ABV: 6.4%
IBU 63
SRM: 6.5

The homebrew store is closeby, so it's not too late to change up this recipe if y'all think it's a total disaster. I'm relatively new to building my own recipes, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

I like the hop bill (but add a few more oz dry hops, I say), but the grain bill feels overly complicated. You have 5 different base malts, which smacks of the "I want everything" approach many of us take when we start formulating our own recipes for the first time. Instead, try going with only the 2 row and one of the others, making up the difference with 2 row. What's your mash profile like?

I second the notion of adding more to your dry hop amounts. I'd double it personally (I use 3-4 oz for an IPA, 5-10 oz for a DIPA).

I like the hop bill (but add a few more oz dry hops, I say), but the grain bill feels overly complicated. You have 5 different base malts, which smacks of the "I want everything" approach many of us take when we start formulating our own recipes for the first time. Instead, try going with only the 2 row and one of the others, making up the difference with 2 row. What's your mash profile like?

agreed - too many bases.
you could go wit hthe simple
2 row to the desired OG
with your 2lbs of vienna
and 1lb of munich (I wouldn't botherusing dark)
The MO and Golden Promise wont add anything to the beer, so its almost kinda pointless. (I'd go as far to say, if you had these grain left over and had to use them, just consider them part of your 2-row percentages.

I normal dryhop with a minimum of 3-4oz

I agree with the above guys about the malts so I won't comment on that. Hop additions I'd push them closer to flameout. a 15 minute addition of Simcoe isn't necessary. I'd do 5 minute additions and flameout. +1 on the added dry hop additions as well. I usually dry hop with 6oz and have up to 8oz in the boil.

Latest posts

Back