IPA recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhedjed

Reaction score
With a few extract kit batches under my belt, I've decided to venture out and work up my own recipe. I'd love any and all feedback...

3# Amber LME
5# Extra Pale LME
Crystal 40L .75# Steeped for 20 min at 155degrees

Hop Pellets-

Columbus .75oz 60 min
Columbus .5oz 30 min
Columbus .5oz 15 min
Cascade .5oz 15 min
Cascade .5 oz 5 min
Cascade .5 oz at flameout

Probably dryhop with an ounce of Cascade.
77 IBU
Rogue Pacman Yeast

Thoughts? Advice?

I'm trying to calc the OG in my head....that's below 1060 I think. That will come across as pretty bitter, which may be what you want. I think it's unusual to use that much amber (or any amber perhaps). I don't know if that's wrong or just different. I personally like a touch of Munich.

Dry hopping is good.

I would probably drop the amber LME and replac eit with Extra Pale LME. Then, I would bump the crystal to 1 lbs. to 1 1/4 lbs.

Other than that, looks pretty good. It should be a dam,n good IPA.

Thanks for the input folks. With two votes for dropping the amber I am convinced, and I will up the crystal.

OG comes out to 1061. I am going for a bitter IPA, hence the columbus with its high AA. I've used columbus a few times and have really enjoyed it. I was tempted to do this one all columbus, but I didn't want the hop profile to be one dimensional.

Thanks for the input and advice.

Back