IPA Recipe Critique/Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Was at the Ace Hardware (which also doubles as the LHBS) this afternoon and decided to pick up some ingredients for an IPA:

Grains:
11lbs NW Pale Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
.5lb Crystal 30L
.5lb Carapils
1lb Munich 10L (not sure if I'll use this, I put it in a separate bag)

Planned on using in recipe:
1oz US Magnum (60min)
1oz Cascade (20min)
.5oz Centennial (10min)
1oz Amarillo (2min)

Extra stockpile available:
1oz Simcoe
1oz Fuggles
.5oz Summit

I'll be using US-05 yeast. Beersmith says that I'll be at 1.056 without the Munich and 1.060 with. Using the hop additions listed above (w/o Simco, Fuggles, or Summit) it says my IBU will be at 68.5, which is a pretty good zone for an IPA, IMO.

Any suggestions regarding hop additions and whether or not I should throw in the 1lb of Munich?

I would move the cascade to 10 or 15. The Centennial to 5 and the Amarillo the flameout. Dryhop with the Simcoe. I would go with either the vienna or the munich, not both. Maybe bump up the 2 row to get you to 1.06

Thanks for the recommendations. Just curious why you wouldn't use both Vienna & Munch, would it make it too sweet/malty? Percentage of specialty grains with both is 21%, 15% without. I'm thinking next time I'll leave out the Crystal altogether.

Thanks for the recommendations. Just curious why you wouldn't use both Vienna & Munch, would it make it too sweet/malty? Percentage of specialty grains with both is 21%, 15% without. I'm thinking next time I'll leave out the Crystal altogether.

There's really no need to get that complex with the grain bill for an IPA. You want to let the hops shine. I'd up the OG to 1.06 something as you're almost in the pale ale range, and move all your hop additions to 10/15 and below besides your bittering charge to up the flavor big time. IMO there is really never a need for a hop addition on a normal IPA from 59 minutes left to 16.

Thanks a ton, Flipadelphia! I'll thrown in another pound of NW Pale (or maybe just regular old 2-row) instead of using the Munich and modify the hop schedule as follows:

1oz US Magnum (60min)
1oz Cascade (15min)
.5oz Centennial (10min)
.5oz Summit (5min)
1oz Amarillo (Flameout)
1oz Simcoe (dryhop)

Back