IPA Recipe Comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHBrew

Reaction score
What do you think about this IPA I am brewing on Friday?

OG - 1.066
Target FG - 1.015
IBU - 52
Mash Temp-153F
Brewhouse Eff. 75%
5.5 gal

11.70 # American 2-Row (87%)
0.70 # Carmel 40L (5%)
1.10 # Munich (8%)

.5 oz Nugget @ 60 min 13%AA - 26 IBU
.5 oz Cascade @ 20 min 5.9% AA - 6 IBU
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15 minu 8.6% AA - 8 IBU
1 oz Cascade @ 5 min 5.9% AA - 5 IBU
1 oz Amarillo @ 5 min 8.6% AA - 7 IBU

Dry Hop .5 oz Amarillo, .5 oz Cascade for 1 Week

Pitching onto WLP California Ale yeast cake.

Comments are appreciated.

Definitely not hoppy enough for me, but that's just me. I would do at least a 1:1 grain:hop ratio. Also, I'd double (or triple) the dry-hopping.

Other things to note: I've been contemplating why my IIPA didn't dry out more. It was a pretty simple, and actually very similar grain bill to yours. It attenuated 84% but was left with too much sweetness in my opinion. I've narrowed it down to too high of a boil-off rate (1.5gal/h), causing increased melanoidin production. It was definitely darker than BTP's given SRM. Second, I just my tap water, which has a pretty even sulfate:chloride ratio. Next time I'm gonna bump up that sulfate to get the bitterness to really shine.

I think he meant OG to IBU ratio, you are in the ball park so I think you will be fine. I would bump up the dry hops to 1 oz of each.

Thanks for the input. My sulfate:chloride ratio here is a about 1. I have pretty soft water as well. I was thinking of adding a little table salt and burtonizing with gypsum. My reason for the salt was so my ratio doesn't get too high.

I will definately bump up the dry hops. If I am to up the IBU's would you recommend doing it in the bittering or flavor additions? I will have .5 oz of Nugget left over but was not sure about adding it in the later additions.

Thanks for the input. My sulfate:chloride ratio here is a about 1. I have pretty soft water as well. I was thinking of adding a little table salt and burtonizing with gypsum. My reason for the salt was so my ratio doesn't get too high.

I will definately bump up the dry hops. If I am to up the IBU's would you recommend doing it in the bittering or flavor additions? I will have .5 oz of Nugget left over but was not sure about adding it in the later additions.

Depends what you're looking for in hop characteristics. If you want more aroma/flavor as well as bittering, then up the later hop additions.

Myself, I prefer getting my IBUs from later hop additions because I enjoy the extra aroma and flavor you get out of them. But it does mean that you'll need more hops to reach a certain IBU than if you were to add them more towards the beginning of the boil.

I enjoy the hoppy aroma and flavor as well. I think I will bump up the 15 and 20 min additions to .75 oz each. That will put me around 60 IBUs and a BU:GU of 0.9. Thanks for the help.

Back