IPA Recipe Check Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentEhrman

Reaction score
I 'm planning to brew up an IPA targeting a good piney flavor and aroma. I would like some input on the recipe I have so far, especially the hop schedule. I have been brewing my IPAs with an addition around 30 minutes for flavoring, but it seems like most here would skip that and add those with the rest of the late additions. I only have 3 oz each of Simcoe and Chinook, so I'm using nugget for the small bittering addition at 60.

8# 2 row
.5# crystal 60
3.5# light DME

.5 oz Nugget 60 minute
.25 Simcoe 25 minutes
.25 Chinook 25 minutes
.25 Simcoe 15 minutes
.25 Chinook 15 minutes
.5 Simcoe 5 minutes
.5 Chinook 5 minutes
.5 Simcoe 0 minutes
.5 Chinook 0 minutes
1.5 Simcoe Dry hop
1.5 Chinook Dry hop

I wish I had an ounce more of each of them, but I don't so I'm trying to get the most out of them as possible. How would you do the hops differently?

I recommend going with about 4% Crystal 10 instead of a higher amount of Crystal 60. One of my favorite piney "Simcoe" IPAs, Schlafly American IPA, uses a decent amount of Crystal 60, which I feel gets in the way of the Simcoe.

I would do 6% sugar, 5% White Wheat, 4% CaraHell, and the rest base malt. Mash around 149 F for one hour. Add all of your DME and sugar late. Sugar will help to dry things up and boost perceivablity of hop flavor.

Get 35 IBUs with the 60 minute addition of Nugget. Then another 20-ish IBUs from Chinook at 30 minutes. Add 1.5 to 2.0 ounces of hops at 10 minutes, add 2 ounces of hops at whirlpool, and finish with an all Simcoe dryhop at the rate of 0.67 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer. If you can get some Centennial in there, please do.

Total hops about 6.5 - 7.5 oz. - What yeast are you using?

I plan to use 05, which pretty much always finishes really low for me. Good to know I'm not the only one using a 30 minute addition here..

BIAB, BeerSmith show 51.8 IBUs. I think that's a good place to be at on a single IPA, I used to think that number needed to be higher, but then I realized it's more about the late additions.

Even whirlpool additions can add IBUs that will not be gauged by brewing software. For example, combine a 3 oz. 40 minute whirlpool of high alpha acid pellet hops, along with a late addition of DME, and the IBUs gained from that addition alone can be significant... or at least significant enough for brewing software to neglect factoring it in.

60 minutes .25 oz chinook
.25 oz simcoe
15 minutes 1 oz chinook
1 oz simcoe
5 minutes .5 oz chinook
.5 simcoe

Dry hop with 1.25 oz of chinook and simcoe

But go with you instincts. It should taste good either way. I just like to hop up my flavoring addition and keep the other ones low. It hasn't done me wrong yet.

Also read this article a little. It's pretty good

http://www.babblehomebrewers.com/attachments/article/68/hopusage.pdf

Back