IPA Recipe 1st Shot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first attempt to produce a recipe using the hops I have at home, using Beersmith.

What do you think of this recipe?

5 Gallon Recipe for IPA:

Steep:
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain

Boil:
6 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU

Safale S-05 Dry Yeast

Dry Hop:
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop)

Ølbart;961232 said:
Munich malt is a base malt, and needs to be mashed. Save it for later, and it should still be a good recipe.

Well, if the OP steeps at mashing temps and for longer than a normal steep (I'd say 45-60 minutes) it would basically be a partial mash. I would say keep the Munich and "steep" at about 152 F.

EDIT: Also, for the hops, I would recommend dry hopping an ounce or two of Amarillo or Cascade or Columbus or a mix of the three for a couple weeks.

Well, if the OP steeps at mashing temps and for longer than a normal steep (I'd say 45-60 minutes) it would basically be a partial mash. I would say keep the Munich and "steep" at about 152 F.

EDIT: Also, for the hops, I would recommend dry hopping an ounce or two of Amarillo or Cascade or Columbus or a mix of the three for a couple weeks.

ive done mashes that way to wonderful effect. Leave the munich and mash around 152-155. If you want you can boil more water and sparge by dunking youe grainbag to rinse the residual sugars. It works pretty well.

Back