ipa problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHB

Reaction score
How important is it to use some form of a wort strainer? I have made several AG batches and just let the wort flow into the fermenter, hops trub and all. Never had a problem but I cant figure out why my IPA was so bad. It tasted horribly of grass and hay. any suggestions?

Thanks
GHB:rockin:

"grass and hay" sound like too long on the dry hops. But there are some hops that are "grassier" than others. What kind of hops did you use, and how long did you dryhop?

11lb 2 row
1lb munich
12oz crystal 60

1oz chinook 60m
1oz cenntenial 15,5m
dry 1oz cenntenial

Never got to dry hop cause it was already awful when i ws checking gravity

From the sound of it, the beer is just young. IMO, it's hard to tell what a beer is going to really be like when taking a sample from the fermenter. Personally, I would never let any hops from the boil go into the fermenter.

I always sip on a little bit when I'm bottling, and it never resembles the final product.

If it's still in the fermenter, I would say go ahead and dry hop it for a week, then get it bottled and let it condition for at least 3 weeks. How often do you use Chinook? I'm wondering if you just don't like that hop. I've heard of people complaining about how harsh of a Hop it is. I personally love it.

Anyhow, don't give up on it.:mug:

Back