IPA pitched a bit warm. What are the consequences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
Due to a prior engagement with the lady and some friends, I was forced to pitch my yeast at 76 F.

Yeast was white labs English ale harvested from primary fermenter of other beer hours before use oin ipa.

My ferment went nuts within 3 hours, and blew out through airlock the next morning. Will this beer be ok?

You might get some funky esters but ya should be fine.

For future reference, if your methods are sound it's off better to pitch a few hours late rather than a few hours early.

fermentation is exothermic so the temps probably climbed higher than 76 depending on the ambient temps. not good.

Well, did you pitch at 76 and then bring it down? If you pitched at 76 but slowly brought it down to low-mid 60's within a few hours and kept it there, I say little to no consequences (assuming yeast was within about 5 degrees of that pitching temperature)

If you pitched an English ale yeast at 76 and had no temperature control, well...I wont put it easy, it will be an ester bomb.

Back