IPA malt hop yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm maybe looking at
13# 2 row
1.25# munich
.4# melanoidin
.4# honey malt

The specialty malts are less than 3% of bill

advogold said:
I'm maybe looking at
13# 2 row
1.25# munich
.4# melanoidin
.4# honey malt

The specialty malts are less than 3% of bill

Look what you did- you got all these experts upset!

That wasn't my intent. Theres nothing wrong with good healthy debate. Or the challenge differing opinions. That's how we brew better beer. Challenge and competition keeps you getting better.

Melanoiden to me comes off as an intense Munich so if your set on using the Munich you might as well simplify it and drop the melanoiden. I agree with bob that honey malt doesn't pair real well with even medium crystal but I do like it along side c10 and c20 in small doses. I think your percentages are close to where they should be if your mashing in the 148-150 range and using something like 1056/001. It's a great starting point to play with in future batches to decide what you like better in balance.

I'm not really sold on the munich. Is vienna a better choice as it's more biscuit like flavor or skip it altogether n maybe do a c10 in munich place. Ah the science. Cheers

Does anyone think I could just go with honey malt
Melanoidin
2 row and make this ipa work? I would really like to use the three but if necessary I'd rather change melanoidin.

If you are really not that experienced with these specially malts you should probably just pick one. At least then you will know what it is like. 2 row and 12 ounces of something

Like I said earlier, just find a happy medium for a starting point. The fun comes in later with tweaking your own recipes. You could do .75 melanoiden in place of the Munich. Bells two hearted uses Vienna and is a nice compliment to a hippy ale.

For my tastes, 5-8% Munich 10L or less is better in an IPA than any amount of Melanoidin, Victory, and to a lesser extent, Vienna.

One of my best IPAs contains 2-row, Munich, Carahell, and Red Wheat.

I'm still entertaining ideas on the grain bill, so I've not really set anything in stone yet. I've used Melanoidin in a couple recipes both a pale ale & IPA

I've used Melanoidin in a couple recipes both a pale ale & IPA

So then use it again if you like it... or, if you wish to experiment, then use something else.

I'm not understanding the continuation of this issue. Did you have another question?

I'd like to see what your malt bill looks like on your two favorite IPAs Bob. For that matter anyone else as well.

i use 19% honey malt in my IPA recipe. some people say it's way too strong but i haven't been blown away yet. i used a pound of honey at high krausen this last time around. it's cold crashing at the moment, we'll see if it's got enough honey in it now! :D

Thanks I'm still deciding on grains. Honey malt Melanoidin 2 row Vienna. My Dreadnaught clone is from byo mag & it seems very good as far as Melanoidin goes. I really like hopslam and I know the clone says to use honey malt. So I think I'm leaning on the four grains but don't want it to be too sweet.

If there are any concerns about the beer being overly sweet, and you have a cooler mash tun, I recommend an overnight mash. I did an insane IPA recently, it came in at 1.105. Mashed overnight at 148 and it came down to 135 over 10 hours. This fermented down to 1.008. You could try this method for any beer that is supposed to be light bodied. It will give you an outrageously low FG. Don't recommend it for stout etc

If there are any concerns about the beer being overly sweet, and you have a cooler mash tun, I recommend an overnight mash. I did an insane IPA recently, it came in at 1.105. Mashed overnight at 148 and it came down to 135 over 10 hours. This fermented down to 1.008. You could try this method for any beer that is supposed to be light bodied. It will give you an outrageously low FG. Don't recommend it for stout etc

Interesting. If I could do that with my equipment, I would give it a try.

I have heard of a few people doing that although I've not done it. I may give it a try at some point. What was the water absorption like. Would you need more strike water?

advogold said:
I have heard of a few people doing that although I've not done it. I may give it a try at some point. What was the water absorption like. Would you need more strike water?

And evaporation may be a concern.

Once the mash is set at 148 any enzymes that would convert starches below that temp have been denatured. There is a reason Decoction mashes aren't done from high to low heat..... I'd also be worried about tannins in that situation. IMO Your far better off doing a standard mash at whatever your preferred temp is.

As far as honey malt goes, I do a Blonde with 5% C10 and 6% honey malt with the rest being 2 row and the honey malt is assertive in the 6-8 week range but it dies down a bit. In an IPA 6% wouldn't be too much at all. I'd probably be comfortable taking it up to 10% but I wouldn't use any other form of crystal at that percentage. I like to stay at or under 10% Crystal malts.

I'm sure your getting a ton of everyones OPINION on what they like. Just go with what you think you'll like and tweak it from there.

Yes lots of info very good problem to have. I probably will just do standard mash at 148 and maybe stick to 82/12/3/3% for my grains. two row/Vienna/Melanoidin/honey malt. I use brewpal mostly but I do have beersmith. I think I'm gonna do 60 min hop add then rest 20 min and down. FWH is going to be done also. Any one prefer to hop differently for ipas?

I prefer achieving about 20-60 IBUs from the bittering addition, depending on how harsh I want the beer to be. No FWH usually. Then, I'll add a middle addition, and bombard it late with 95% of my hops. I like a nice long aroma steep during whirlpool stage when the wort isn't quite so hot.

Regular IPA dryhop = approx. 0.50 oz. dryhops per gallon beer
Double IPA dryhop = approx. 0.75 oz. dryhops per gallon beer

The dryhop defines the large character of my IPAs. If I want pine, I'll use Simcoe. If I want melon, I'll use Citra. If I want citrus, I'll whip out the Amarillo and Centennial. If I want dank marijuana-esque notes, I'll use Apollo, Summit, Columbus.

I usually do 60/30/15/10/0 and dry hop. But I've also added a 45 min and moved 30 add to 20 min. I hadn't thought about getting the 20-60 ibus first additions. I'll keep that in mind it makes sense. People told me FWH helps cut back harshness a bit while still getting ibus. The dry hop also is good I've just followed recipes that use 2-3 oz total.

I'm not sold on FWH for IPAs. If you bitter at 20-30 IBUs with your first addition, add a second around 30 minutes, then finish it with a bunch of late hops, you will still have a very, very smooth IPA. Sometimes I like them to be more harsh and that's when I'll shoot for more like 60 IBUs bittering.

I had my hop schedule FWH .5 chinook, 1oz chinook 60 min, 1oz citra 20 min, 1oz citra 15 min, 1 oz amarillo 5 min, 1 oz amarillo 1 min, then dryhop 1 oz each citra and amarillo. I'm toying with the idea of moving my FWH to 30 min addition same qty. My new #s are 1.061 SG, 1.073 OG, 1.017 FG, 7.3% abv, 74 ibus after moving to 30 min.

My color seems to be off. For imperial Ipa I was going for regular IPA but heck. I've come this far might as well make sure the color is on. Any solutions? I'm at 6.2 SRM now but standard is between 8 & 15

Added everything into beersmith and my two row dropped down to 60 something percent

You can always just add 2oz of any debittered black malt at the end of the mash. I like light colored IPA's myself, so I don't worry about it.

Well, I brewed a one gallon batch &. Its bottled. I am going to pull a bottle for sampling one week into conditioning phase.

boostsr20 said:
You can always just add 2oz of any debittered black malt at the end of the mash. I like light colored IPA's myself, so I don't worry about it.

+1^
I used 2 oz midnight wheat in an Imperial red IPA yesterday, it got me to 14.5 SRM.

I can't wait to try it out. Probably adjust the grains if anything. What's everyone's favorite hop for IPAs? Citra amarillo Simcoe and maybe chinook for my next creation.

It was ok pretty good. Here However I'm not satisfied with pretty good.

I was gonna brew a wheat ale next brew day but I may do revised IPA recipe if I get enough thumbs up.. Ready? Here it is.

11.75 two row
2 Vienna
1 crystal 10
.25 Melanoidin
. 15 honey malt
1.25 corn sugar

FWH
. 5 chinook
. 5 Simcoe

Boil
. 5 chinook @ 60
. 5 Simcoe @ 60