IPA kit - weird receipe or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
Ocassionally, all go with a kit to save time. On Saturday, I picked up a well known commercial IPA kit for $32. It was not listed on the pack what was in the kit. This kit had:

Two cans of 3.3lbs Amber LME,
I lb Cyrstal malt 40L for steeping (w grain bag)
Two packs of hops (1 bitter, 1 aroma)
Dry Ale yeast - Mountons
Dark roasted oak chips

Anyway, the boil turn out very dark brown and this may not be indiciative of the final brew but, I was surprised that this receipe was this much on the dark side.

I'm sure I will enjoy this brew and I do enjoy dark beer but I wanted to confirm that this is probably not the typical PM recipe for IPA; right?

Thx...

The only thing I'm concerned about is the amount of hops included and the fact that it uses amber LME. That's not really typical for an IPA. Also, the oak chips are an odd addition. What commercial IPA was it? We can probably help you further if we knew that.

The kit is made by re Brew.

I steeped in some grains - oatmeal and rice and used a different dry yeast but, other than that, the kit ingrediance was used. The wort finished very brown in color.

Back