IPA input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upheaval

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some input on this IPA recipe. Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Est ABV% 6.4 IBU: 63

Grain:
11.5 2 Row
2 Vienna
1.5 Flaked Oats

Hops:
.75 Simcoe (Boil)
2.5 Centennial (5min)
2.5 Cascade (5min)
2.5 Simcoe (5min)

Dry Hop:
2 Cascade

Yeast:

I would consider some light crystal malt to give you some unfermentables to balance out those IBUs. Alternatively, you could mash a little warmer, say around 156F.

Grist looks fine to me. May be shift some of those 5 minute hops to flame-out, but not bad as is. Brew it!

(I wouldn't mash any higher than 152.)

I agree that you should have some sorta flame out hopping going on. I'm almost exclusively using Magnum to bitter, as it is so clean, and I haven't really been able to pick up the Simcoe qualities I like when used so early in the boil. The malt bill looks really good. I have been using wheat in roughly the same ammounts as you are here, and am really digging. You get the head and mouthfeel, but also it seems to make the hops shine in my expirence.

Would bump the 5 minutes to half at flame out, half at 170* hopstand. +1 on not mashing too high or Crystal malts. The oats might be enough for mouthfeel, but I like malt flavor to be solid in an ipa

That is very close to the Grain Bill I use for my Hop showcase Beers. (I do swap Flaked oats for Flaked barley at the same % sometimes And I use Munich instead of vienna) I guess some would consider them "unbalanced" But I like IPA's dry as a bone with huge Hop aroma and Flavor. Mash Low and Go broke on late hops. I have been happy with 3oz Flame out 6oz Dry Hop and 2oz leaf in keg. Recipe Looks solid should be a tasty Brew.

I agree with moving most of those 5 min additions to flameout. Maybe 2.5 oz cascade at 5 and 5 oz Simcoe/Centennial at flameout. I would also up the dry hop to 4 oz.. that's just me tho. Probably 2 oz Simcoe, 1 oz each Cascade/Centennial in the dry hop. I like a screaming hop aroma.

The grain bill looks pretty good to me. Kind of nit-picking here but I might suggest subbing 1 of those pounds of Vienna for a pound of Munich, just to get a little more character from the malt (w/out having to add any Crystal malts). I always find it difficult to NOT add Munich to just about any of my recipes.

I agree with moving most of those 5 min additions to flameout. Maybe 2.5 oz cascade at 5 and 5 oz Simcoe/Centennial at flameout. I would also up the dry hop to 4 oz.. that's just me tho. Probably 2 oz Simcoe, 1 oz each Cascade/Centennial in the dry hop. I like a screaming hop aroma.

The grain bill looks pretty good to me. Kind of nit-picking here but I might suggest subbing 1 of those pounds of Vienna for a pound of Munich, just to get a little more character from the malt (w/out having to add any Crystal malts). I always find it difficult to NOT add Munich to just about any of my recipes.

What would be the benefit of adding more at flameout? Doesn't that just add to aroma mainly? Also, I plan on ramping up my dry hops

When you add the hops at flameout, let the wort sit for about 30 mins or so before chilling. This is called a hop stand. The wort will still be near boiling, but will slowly start to cool. Different hop oils are extracted at different temperatures. Hop stands are very popular for adding tons of hop flavor w/out adding much bitterness. Heady Topper is ALL flameout/whirlpool hops (aside from a bittering charge of hop extract).

Hopstand is where alllllll the flavor is. Try starting under 180* for higher usage and more bitterness, or under 150* for only about 5% utilization and still massive flavor. I've made ipa's that finished nearly as juicy as an orange, but it wasn't malt sweetness. It's hop usage. Aroma additions should be considered for the dry hop much more than the hopstand.

Back