IPA Hops Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Looking for some help with an IPA hops schedule. I reaching out to try something different and was looking for some input.

Here are a few specs that I will be working with...
10 gallon batch
OG will be 1.065-1.070.
SRM: 8-10

Hops that I have on hand are...
Fuggles 9oz
Chinook 9oz
Willamette 5oz
Kent Gold 2oz
Centinnial 2oz

Just curious if anything comes to mind. If need be I can pick up an oz or 2 but was looking to clean out the fridge before my bulk spring purchases.

Thanks for your thoughts

Chinook for bittering (probably only need 1oz, but you can add more if you prefer), 1oz centennial at 15-30 and 1oz dry hop. Probably an oz of chinook for dry hop as well.

Besides that, I can't really say.. I don't know if much of those flavors will work with each other very well for an IPA. I'd say use the willamette, kent gold, and fuggles all together because they are all kinda similar, but I don't have much experience with them.. If anything, I'd use them and make an English (I)PA.

Post your grain bill if you've decided it to maybe help it along.

Edit: I had a 5 gallon batch in mind obviously, not 10 lol

For a 10 gallon IPA, I'd probably go with:
1oz chinook mash hop or FWH
2oz chinook @ 60
1oz centennial @ 20
1oz fuggle @ 15
1oz willamette @ 10
1oz fuggle @ 5
.5oz willamette @ 0
.5oz fuggle @ 0

1oz centennial dry hop for 5-7days
1oz chinook dry hop for 5-7 days
1oz willamette dry hop for 5-7 days

But that's just me

I'd make either an English IPA, or an American IPA. For an American IPA, I'd do bittering with chinook and flavoring and aroma with centennial.

Like this:

Chinook 60 minutes

Centennial 20 minutes
centennial 10 minutes
centennial 0 minutes

Since you're a bit low on centennial but high on chinook, you could replace the 10 minute addition with chinook.

I'd try to get to an OG of 1.065ish and IBUs of 60ish. Then, I'd use an ounce and a half of hops at the 20, 10, and 0 minutes.

For an English style IPA, I'd go with the fuggles (or Goldings) and willamette. Similar schedule, but with a 15 minute addition and a 0 addition. I'd have a stronger malt flavor, with less hops in the aroma.

So:
Fuggles 60 minutes (since you have so many of them, but you could use either of the others, too, depending on the AAUs of the hops you have)

Willamette 15 minutes
EKG 0 minutes

I'd bitter with up to 55-60 IBUs, and then use two ounces of the aroma and flavor hops, depending on the malt bill. You could reverse the willamette and EKG hops, or even mix them and add them together.

I don't make IPAs often, but when I do, I use multiple hops. If I was following Yooper's first schedule, I'd use Willamette at flameout.

For an English style IPA, I'd go with the fuggles (or Goldings) and willamette. Similar schedule, but with a 15 minute addition and a 0 addition. I'd have a stronger malt flavor, with less hops in the aroma.

So:
Fuggles 60 minutes (since you have so many of them, but you could use either of the others, too, depending on the AAUs of the hops you have)

Willamette 15 minutes
EKG 0 minutes

I'd bitter with up to 55-60 IBUs, and then use two ounces of the aroma and flavor hops, depending on the malt bill. You could reverse the willamette and EKG hops, or even mix them and add them together.

I'm making an English IPA tomorrow using 2oz Willamette at 60 since they're normally higher AA, then 2oz fuggle at 15 and 2oz at 0. Currently about 54 IBUs. May use a few pellets of something high AA at 60 to bump it over 60 IBUs.

Back