IPA Hop Schedule: Cleaning Out the Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Francois

Reaction score
I don't normally brew IPAs, but I'm doing one with a friend. I have lots of hops in the freezer, but I'd like some guidance on a hop schedule for an American IPA with an OG of 1.060.

Here are the IPA-Style hops I have on hand:

2 oz Apollo
6 oz CTZ (Perhaps go all CTZ?)
4 oz Summit
2 oz Chinook
2 oz Centennial
2 oz Cascade

Which ones would you use? In what order and quantity?

Thank you hop-heads!

Any of the hops you have will work for an IPA. In your typical 60 minute, 6 gallon boil / 5 gallon batch, and for only 1.060 OG, I would say 5-6.5 oz. total hops, with a heavy emphasis on late boil additions, whirlpool additions, and dryhops.

Apollo - dank, citrus, resin, pine
CTZ - similar to apollo, but less intense
Summit - tangerine blast, resiny
Chinook - pine, citrus, herbal
Centennial - citrus-candies, juicy grapefruit
Cascade - floral grapefruit

Franc103 said:
I don't normally brew IPAs, but I'm doing one with a friend. I have lots of hops in the freezer, but I'd like some guidance on a hop schedule for an American IPA with an OG of 1.060.

Here are the IPA-Style hops I have on hand:

2 oz Apollo
6 oz CTZ (Perhaps go all CTZ?)
4 oz Summit
2 oz Chinook
2 oz Centennial
2 oz Cascade

Which ones would you use? In what order and quantity?

Thank you hop-heads!

Half oz chinook at 60 then add 6oz between 20 and zero starting with low alpha and working up. Save the Apollo and ctz for another brew. Also dry hop with the summit. 2oz. Cheers

Only bitter with Chinook if you enjoy the bitterness it imparts. It is a unique harsher type of bitter. I enjoy it in hoppy darker beers but I'd go with something cleaner for bittering an IPA.

Any of the hops you have will work for an IPA. In your typical 60 minute, 6 gallon boil / 5 gallon batch, and for only 1.060 OG, I would say 5-6.5 oz. total hops, with a heavy emphasis on late boil additions, whirlpool additions, and dryhops.

Apollo - dank, citrus, resin, pine
CTZ - similar to apollo, but less intense
Summit - tangerine blast, resiny
Chinook - pine, citrus, herbal
Centennial - citrus-candies, juicy grapefruit
Cascade - floral grapefruit

Agreed.

What I would probably do is bitter with CTZ and then use chinook, centennial, and cascade for later additions.

Like this:

CTZ 60 minutes (30-40 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz chinook 15 minutes
1 oz centennial 10 minutes
1 oz cascade 5 minutes
.5 ounce each chinook, centennial, cascade at flame out

Dryhop with 2 ounces of hops from the above choices. If you don't love chinook, summit can replace it in that schedule.

Back