IPA Hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
So I am trying to come up with my own IPA recipe. The hop additions I was planning on was 1oz Warrior (60min)...1oz Cascase (45min)....1oz Nugget (15 min)...1 oz nugget (5 min)....does anyone see issues with this? I know this is a pretty general question but just wanted to check before I go to the homebrew store tomorrow. For my malt I was planning on 12lb 2 row....2lb vienna and 1 lb munich..thanks

Looks fine. If anything I might split up same amount of hops to more additions. Focusing on the last 15 mins of the boil. This will allow more of the aromatic qualities of the varieties you've chosen to shine through.

so the boil may look more like:
60m 0.75 oz Warrior
45m 0.5 oz Cascade
30m 0.5 oz Nugget
15m 0.5 oz Nugget
10m 0.5 oz Nugget
5m 0.5 oz Nugget
0.5 oz Cascade
0.25 oz Warrior

Strictly personal opinion though. Your recipe looks great.

Going American, English, or California yeast? Just curious. I like California for my IPA's.

also I think i am going to take you up on splitting up the hop additions...thanks for the suggestion

Well, I think nugget is better as a bittering hop, but if you like it as a finishing hop, that's fine.

I'd skip the 45 minute addition, and either add it to the bittering addition if the beer needs it, or bring it up to 20 minutes or less for flavor.

I'd use the nugget and/or warrior for bittering hops, and the cascade for aroma/flavor. You could mix some warrior in there for flavoring hops, too, if you want.

Looks fine. If anything I might split up same amount of hops to more additions. Focusing on the last 15 mins of the boil. This will allow more of the aromatic qualities of the varieties you've chosen to shine through.

so the boil may look more like:
60m 0.75 oz Warrior
45m 0.5 oz Cascade
30m 0.5 oz Nugget
15m 0.5 oz Nugget
10m 0.5 oz Nugget
5m 0.5 oz Nugget
0.5 oz Cascade
0.25 oz Warrior

Strictly personal opinion though. Your recipe looks great.

Going American, English, or California yeast? Just curious. I like California for my IPA's.

I posted while Reedwalker was posting, I think, so I didn't see his answer until now. It looks like we gave you totally opposite ideas!

I've had some of Reedwalker beers, so I would respect his thoughts on this as well.

I guess that my bias on nugget might be misplaced!

Not misplaced at all Yoop. I actually agree with you.

I was strictly going from his recipe and hop choices/boil times. I just don't want to hijack his recipe and turn it into my house IPA.

If it were MY IPA I would swap the Nugget for Cascade and finish with Centennial. :D

Yoopers Pale Ale makes me wanna take my clothes off and bathe in it. It is that good.

Yoopers Pale Ale makes me wanna take my clothes off and bathe in it. It is that good.

LOL- that's quite a compliment. I think.

I hope mrs.reedwalker enjoys the beer, too. Or at least the naked bathing in it. :D Bob (peering over my shoulder) says he prefers drinking it.

Anyway- it looks like Reedwalker and I agree. Perhaps nuggest isn't a good choice for flavoring/aroma because of its heavy herbal/spicy aroma. But if that's what you're looking for, that will work for you.

I'm a huge fan of the US citrusy hops in IPA/APAs so I am probably quite biased.

Whatever you do, please report back here so others can learn about using less favored hops in IPAs. Maybe you'll find something wonderful, and I'd hate to miss out on it because of my bias.

I'm with Yooper, at least on the timing. I like to hit my IPAs with a big ol' bittering add at 60 minutes, then save everything else for the last 20 minutes. Usually, we're talking about 30 or 40 ibus from the 60 minute add, and around 30-70 ibus from the last 20 minutes, (20, 15, 10, 5, 1, 0 minute adds).

Of course, I love my hops to leap out and smack me in the face.

For me, it's Simcoe and Amarillo at the last five minutes to flameout. I've really started to love Simcoe, very versatile. That said, you've gotta love Centennial, too. I've been toying with the idea of an IPA using Galena as the bittering hop, followed by Simcoe and Amarillo additions in the last 20 minutes. Still playing with the numbers... :)

Back