IPA Grain Bill Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
so, for IPA's ive been doing just 2-row and like 4% crystal 60. i used to have a tiny bit of cara pils in there too but i quit doing that because i still get good head retention without it. now, i've noticed that a lot of people don't like to use crystal nowadays. i do a pale ale with 2 row a little munich and some victory which would probably scale up pretty well. what have a lot of you guys are doing for your grain bills for IPA's?

I add a little bit of Munich, Vienna, Victory or Biscuit Malt or combination of those for some complexity. I recently brewed an IPA and Used 2-row, Victory and Honey Malt. I think I may add a bit of Crystal to that recipe next time or more Honey Malt. I used a lot of Citra hops so it needed a bit more sweetness for backbone.

I actually added a half pound of Crystal 120 to my last IPA, and I love the rich, copper colour it produced. I'll save the bright, golden blonde colour for my Pilsener. :)

I always add about 10-15 % Munich as well. Mostly 2 row with the Munich and a touch of crystal 40. I like mine dry so I'll add close to 10% sugar too.

I used Belgian aromatic, with Munich, two row and crystal, and it is fanatic

It's weird, but I like both crystal IPAs and no-crystal IPAs, and probably about equally.

I normally go extreme either way, though which seems odd. I will either use no crystal at all and use victory and Munich malt or even maris otter, or use a lot of crystal (over 8%). I love it both ways, and they are just different.

Light, crisp, with no crystal, or a bit more medium bodied with a crystal component- both equally delicious. But for summer, I'm leaning toward the lower ABV quaffable IPAs and I find a drier IPA just more enjoyable in the summer. (If we ever get temperatures above 65 here, that is!)

It's weird, but I like both crystal IPAs and no-crystal IPAs, and probably about equally.

I normally go extreme either way, though which seems odd. I will either use no crystal at all and use victory and Munich malt or even maris otter, or use a lot of crystal (over 8%). I love it both ways, and they are just different.

Light, crisp, with no crystal, or a bit more medium bodied with a crystal component- both equally delicious. But for summer, I'm leaning toward the lower ABV quaffable IPAs and I find a drier IPA just more enjoyable in the summer. (If we ever get temperatures above 65 here, that is!)

good point with the weather thing. what % victory do you use in your 'no crystal' IPAs? too much victory can get weird for me

good point with the weather thing. what % victory do you use in your 'no crystal' IPAs? too much victory can get weird for me

Not all that much- I don't have a recipe in front of me, but it's typical .5 pounds at most in a 5 gallon batch, often less. But the APA I'm drinking now (literally, right now) had 1.75 pounds in a 11 gallon batch.

decided to go with this just to change it up. i'll update on the differences between this and what i normally do

10g

23lb 2-row 88.5%
2lbs munich 7.7%
1lb honey malt 3.8%

bittering with magnum, finishing with citra

I do a honey rye ipa as my house brew, 3.5 pounds of rye, 1/3 pounds crystal 40, 1/3 pound crystal 60 and a half pound aromatic. It's got a nice layered, almost sticky taste.

Back