Ipa for competition (need help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockental

Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm planning an American IPA for a homebrew competition in Brazil.
Any sugestion?

American IPA
OG 1.065
IBU 60

95% Pale Malt
5% Castle Cara Ruby Malt (60EBC)

Mash @ 66C (151F) (no sparging)

Boil 90m

Hops:
Columbus + Centenial @ 10m for 40 IBUs
Columbus + Centenial @ 5m for 20 IBUs
Cascade @ 0m (5g/L)
Columbus @ 0m (2g/L)
Centenial @ 0m (2g/L)
Simcoe for Dry Hopping (5g/L)

Fermentation @ 18C (64F) with US-05
Maturation @ 1C (34F) for 5 days starting 3 days after dry hopping)

Planing to use whirfloc in the boil and biofine in the maturation.

Those hops are very common hops for an IPA. Try some different hops. Make something no ones has before. I'm not saying it's gonna be a bad brew but there is so many new hops out there now. Why not at least throw one of them in the mix? I would want my brew to stand out from the rest. Keep the grains though, less is more. I like your grain bill

Thanks Kmcogar!
Here in Brazil I have not so many hop choises.
What do you think about Apollo, Bravo or El dorado?

From my perspective, you've got a solid IPA recipe there. The only way to really adjust it further would be to brew it up and make adjustments after getting to experience it in real life.

I would typically have at least a small bittering charge at 60 minutes.

I don't see the need for a 90 minute boil but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Never used cara ruby but a 30L crystal should be perfect and get you a good color at 5%.

In regards to the dryhop, I personally have a tendency to prefer hop blends (even if minor) to straight hop. I know you will have a bunch of flameout hops so maybe that count for me :D. Additionally, 5g/L dryhop with Simcoe seems like a TON (~3.5oz of dryhop in a 5.25 gallon batch). I think you could reduce that to 3g/L for better balance.

After a quick read of biofine I wouldn't want to use it unless I was really pressed for time. IPAs are acceptable with some hop haziness.

Glockental said:
Thanks Kmcogar!
Here in Brazil I have not so many hop choises.
What do you think about Apollo, Bravo or El dorado?

I'm pretty sure Apollo and bravo are some high alpha hops. Actually, I haven't used any of the 3 you named. I never heard of el dorado, so I looked it up. It sounds pretty good. I wouldn't used too much in there though. It seems to be pretty fruit. I made an IPA with some hops with a similar profile and didn't like how fruity it was. I used a lot of hops though. Don't listen to me though. I always brew off the wall beers. The last one was a peanut butter porter

I boil 90 minute when brewing with brazilian pilsner malt, to reduce dms... with pale malt I don't need to fear this, ok?
I will boil the 60!
Thanks everybody!
you could probably even do 45 with no problem.

Back