IPA for a beginner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolcoms

Reaction score
So let me first say I have never brewed anything, but I have been researching allot. And one thing I have been researching is the proper water chemistry for an IPA recipe. Now I still need to get a water report, but my question is do you guys think an IPA is a good recipe for a first time brewer?

Sure. An IPA is a very forgiving beer. The only thing I'd caution about is making sure to use enough yeast. If using liquid yeast, use two packages (or more!) and if using dry yeast consider using two packages if there is going to be a high ABV in the end.

Yeah of course, if that's the type of beer you're into, I know I am. The tendency of IPAs to have robust hop flavors and aromas often serve as a nice mask to cover up any off flavors while you work out the kinks of brewing.

Welcome!

Ok great. I've been reading and watching allot of John Palmers tips and tutorials so when I came across the section on water chemistry and the importance of turning a good beer into a great beer, it was something that interested me. I'll try the recipe out and go from there. Do you guys think RO water will be ok or should I use spring water?

Ok great. I've been reading and watching allot of John Palmers tips and tutorials so when I came across the section on water chemistry and the importance of turning a good beer into a great beer, it was something that interested me. I'll try the recipe out and go from there. Do you guys think RO water will be ok or should I use spring water?

RO water is perfect!

yoop I know we have talked about this but for some reason I am as confused as hell over this. I apologize for being dense... RO water is fine for ALL types of brewing or just extracts brewing? I keep reading I have to add stuff to RO water for all grain.. then others say no.. I am having the same odd ( not bad just different) taste in my lighter beers and I am convinced it is the water.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll be sure to let you all know how it came out!

IPA's are great beginner brew, although slightly higher in price due to the larger hop additions. The Two Hearted clone that was mentioned is a good one, and always on tap at my house. I use all Centennial so the hop additions are straight forward. It does require dry hopping, but that's easy enough as long as you have a second fermenting bucket or carboy.

I you want to REALLY control your water, get distilled water and add all your minerals in the proportions that give the profile you want. I'm fortunate to live on top of a mountain ,and have very good well water so it's easy for me. If your on a public water source, you really need to check to see if they add chlorine or chloramine. Chlorine can be dealt with, chloramine is tougher.

whitehause said:
IPA's are great beginner brew, although slightly higher in price due to the lager hop additions. The Two Hearted clone that was mentioned is a good one, and always on tap at my house. I use all Centennial so the hop additions are straight forward. It does require dry hopping, but that's easy enough as long as you have a second fermenting bucket or carboy.

I you want to REALLY control your water, get distilled water and add all your minerals in the proportions that give the profile you want. I'm fortunate to live on top of a mountain ,and have very good well water so it's easy for me. If your on a public water source, you really need to check to see if they add chlorine or chloramine. Chlorine can be dealt with, chloramine is tougher.

I have been in contact with my water district and they gave me a bunch of readings from various locations that they mix in order to provide their drinking water. I finally got the superintendents number at the water district, so I'll be calling him in the morning to get info on the calcium, magnesium, sodium, alkalinity, and ph levels in my water. If my water ends up being to much to handle, I will probably build my water from scratch.

yoop I know we have talked about this but for some reason I am as confused as hell over this. I apologize for being dense... RO water is fine for ALL types of brewing or just extracts brewing? I keep reading I have to add stuff to RO water for all grain.. then others say no.. I am having the same odd ( not bad just different) taste in my lighter beers and I am convinced it is the water.

It's perfect for ALL brewing. The only thing, with all grain, you might have to add a tiny bit of calcium chloride. Like 1 teaspoon of calcium chloride for 5 gallons. That's it, unless you want to get really into it. Then you could add some gypsum too if you want to, and understand why. But really, that's all there is to it. It's not hard, it's cheap, and it makes great beer.

It's perfect for ALL brewing. The only thing, with all grain, you might have to add a tiny bit of calcium chloride. Like 1 teaspoon of calcium chloride for 5 gallons. That's it, unless you want to get really into it. Then you could add some gypsum too if you want to, and understand why. But really, that's all there is to it. It's not hard, it's cheap, and it makes great beer.
is that added to the mash or boil or where?

I think you need it in the water before anything else is added.

Before I ask this I know I am being dense but for some reason I cannot grasp all of this.. my normal water volume for a batch of beer is around 9 gallons total....do I need 2 tsp of this stuff or one because my batch size is only 5 gallons? does ALL of the water need it evenly distributed or do I just put it in my strike water?

I was wondering if I could just add it to the bk when I mash? I don't have anything really clean to put 5G of water in to treat it first.

unionrdr said:
I was wondering if I could just add it to the bk when I mash? I don't have anything really clean to put 5G of water in to treat it first.

Yes, I add all of my salt additions to my milled grist prior to dough-in. That's where it matters.

Brulosopher said:
Yes, I add all of my salt additions to my milled grist prior to dough-in. That's where it matters.

The mash, I mean... that's what matters.

That's what I thought,since it's just a tsp of calcium chloride. I also have the small packets of Burton Salts,but that's for another brew & time.

Back