IPA Fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIceGfunk

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked but I couldn't find the answer.

I brewed my first IPA(my third batch ever) and everything went smoothly. I pitched the yeast(smack pack) and settled the fermenter where I have always done in my basement on a towel. The air lock was somewhat active for about 2 days then nothing. I know that no air lock action doesn't mean fermentation isn't done but my other beers were active for about five days. I'm thinking about moving this batch to secondary so I can start on a new batch. Think everything is ok?

Unless it has been in primary for 3 weeks OR you have steady gravity readings 2-3 days apart, do not rack to secondary.

I don't agree that it needs three weeks- if it's finished, no harm will come to racking it.

But I agree with the stable SG point. Check the SG today and again in two days. If it's the same, it's ok to rack it.

I don't agree that it needs three weeks- if it's finished, no harm will come to racking it.

But I agree with the stable SG point. Check the SG today and again in two days. If it's the same, it's ok to rack it.

Sorry. I didn't mean to infer that it needs 3 weeks, only that if it's been in there for 3 weeks... it's done. I don't think you really even need gravity measurements at that point.

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful. I guess my main question is, is it weird that I only saw action in the air lock for 2 days? I used a slap pack and let it sit for about 2 hours even though the pack said to wait at least 3.

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful. I guess my main question is, is it weird that I only saw action in the air lock for 2 days? I used a slap pack and let it sit for about 2 hours even though the pack said to wait at least 3.

No, I've had beers ferment out before in 24 hours! That's not common, but it's not unheard of.

The one concern I have is if it's an IPA and you used only one smack pack, you probably underpitched the yeast. Next time, if you're doing a beer over 1.050, make a starter or pitch two packages. (Actually any OG beer can benefit from a starter with liquid yeast, but I don't want to totally derail the thread!).

No, I've had beers ferment out before in 24 hours! That's not common, but it's not unheard of.

The one concern I have is if it's an IPA and you used only one smack pack, you probably underpitched the yeast. Next time, if you're doing a beer over 1.050, make a starter or pitch two packages. (Actually any OG beer can benefit from a starter with liquid yeast, but I don't want to totally derail the thread!).

Good to know bud. LETS GO CAPS!!!

Back