IPA dryhopped with washers weighing bag down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper9

Reaction score
So...... hopefully this isn't ruined. I dry-hopped an IPA a little while back with about 4 washers I picked up for a previous project to weigh the bag down. I never used the washers, and cleaned and sterilized them. I had thought they were stainless steel but after a few days i pulled out the bag and the washers were slightly corroded. Gah!!!

I went ahead and eventually bottled it and it's almost ready to drink but.... is it safe? I've researched a little bit about nickel poisoning and it does not look good. but in this small of an amount surely can't be dangerous? Also it looks like the dangerous form of it is gaseous, not nikel plating. Any thoughts or experience?

i did taste it when i bottled and tasted fine - no metal or off flavors that i could tell.

not entirely sure, just one of the standard washers from home depot or lowes - i swore it said stainless steal though. i walked by the isle the other day and it did say zinc or nickel on the label grr

I'm thinking that they were probably zinc, possibly cadmium(sp), since they corroded so fast. Anodes in marine applicatons are made of zinc and they are made to be sacrificial. Also, I don't think nickel should have been affected. I'm sure we have some metallurgist on the board that could fill us in. Finally, after getting 3 bolts/nuts/washers of one size and 1 of a different size, any time I shop at one of the open bin stores, I make sure that any pieces I buy are marked. I know this doesn't help now, but file it away for later. Luck - Dwain

Just in case all your shot glasses are in use, find a rock about the size of a peach pit. Not just any rock, but a nice hard old and durable smooth one. One that has been around for a while that made it through the ice age. Boil it / sanitize it and you are good to go.

Yea I'm joking around but kinda serious.

If you have built a keggle or two then you have plenty of extra stainless parts around. I just use the ball-bearing/valve out of the dip tube when I need weights.

oh i forgot about this thread. turns out i ended up dumping the bottles this weekend. i had a few of these over the course of a few days and each time gave me a nasty headache the next day. could be my head playing games with me but it's not worth it. i'll make a new IPA one of these days....!

Yeah, I like the 3/4" SS ball bearings out of the sanke valves.

+1.... However, the one I used in my last batch as the weight in my hop bag apparently ended up in the garbage can...

Reason #2137543 to not drink WHILE brewing... Or at least not drink that much...

:drunk:

Is anyone but the Chinese still making marbles?

Is anyone other than the Chinese still making anything?

+wahtever number on the marbles. Although once i lost my marbles (feel free to insert joke here) and i couldn't find anything so i sanitized my key chain and threw it in, worked great.

i saw an episode of dirty jobs where they made marbles appears to be somewhere in the u.s.

Latest posts

Back