IPA dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snookbeware

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA the other day , "Arizona Bay IPA". OG 1.083 6lbs Briess light DME, 3.3 lbs Sparkling Amber LME, 1 lbs dextrose , steeped 1 lbs 2 row 60* lovibond and 1/2 lbs Muntons Crystal , hops 1 oz magnum 1 oz warrior60 min, 1 oz warrior 30min, 1 oz zythos 20 min, 1 oz summit 10 min. Was thinking of dry hopping after 1 week in secondary for 1 week with 1 oz of citra leaf. Should I add some of the precious hops in the dry hop or am I already over doing the hop additions? I want a drinkable beer, but it's supposed to be "End of the world" style. 5 gal batch. "LEARN TO SWIM!!!"

I am a hop junkie and your dry hop will be for aroma, not so much for flavor. I think all good IPA's need a dry hop. I can't comment on the Citra specifically since that is one I haven't used yet, but from what I know about it it sounds like a good one to use. I have an APA going right now that has 2.5oz of dry hops in it so with as big of a beer as you have going you could even add some more hops to your dry hop.

OClairBrew said:
I am a hop junkie and your dry hop will be for aroma, not so much for flavor. I think all good IPA's need a dry hop. I can't comment on the Citra specifically since that is one I haven't used yet, but from what I know about it it sounds like a good one to use. I have an APA going right now that has 2.5oz of dry hops in it so with as big of a beer as you have going you could even add some more hops to your dry hop.

I LOVE!!!!! Citra hops! You really need to give it a whirl. I'm still a brew noob, but I'm working on it, this is only my 3rd partial mash brew, but have brewed 20 or more extract beers. Just didn't want to over do it. I was told by a dude at the home brew store to dry hop with all my wet additions, just wanted to see what y'all thought.

You definitely shouldn't dry hop with an ounce of Citra...

...you should clearly use 2 oz!! Or 1 oz Citra with one ounce of something else. But a 1.083 IPA can DEFINITELY stand up to 2 oz of dry hops.

Back