IPA critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would love some input on this IPA recipe. I am looking for a citrusy IPA with a little bit of a malt backbone to it.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP041 Pacific Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes (1.5L)
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 60
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days @ 65F

10 Lbs 2-row US 69%
3 Lbs Munich 20.7%
.5 lbs C80 3.4%
1 lbs C40 6.9%

20g Centennial FWH
20g Citra 20 min
20g Citra 10 min
20g Citra 5
20g Citra 0 (all hops will remain in the kettle during chilling)

Mash @ 148 for 90 min. (possibly up this to 150?)

What are some thoughts on using Munich in an IPA?

thanks in advance for any input.

I'd drink it! Looks tasty. I'd mash it around 152, but that's just me. Are you planning to dry hop, too?

I like Munich in an IPA for a bit of depth and backbone.

Seems like a high final gravity, especially with a lower mash temp. I've never used that yeast before, is that why you're expecting 1.018 FG ?

I would move the 20 minute addition to 0 minutes, and drop the C40 from 1lb to .5lb.

Also, definitely dry hop for the best hop aroma!

Ignore my comment about a high FG. I'm used to adding dextrose to mine to bring that down, which you're not :)

I'd drink it! Looks tasty. I'd mash it around 152, but that's just me. Are you planning to dry hop, too?

I like Munich in an IPA for a bit of depth and backbone.

I might up the temp to 150 for 90 min. I have a lot of crystal in there and want to counteract that a bit.

Also seems like a lot of Crystal malt, might want to lower it a bit.

Wasn't thinking about the Munich malt, maybe cut that back to 2 lbs and follow Conman13's suggestion about cutting the c40 down to .5.

I would move the 20 minute addition to 0 minutes, and drop the C40 from 1lb to .5lb.

Also, definitely dry hop for the best hop aroma!

Wasn't planning to dry hop this go around, but may consider adding a couple ounces of citra for 4-5 days. This is the first time i have used citra, so it is more of a test to see how i like it.

Updated recipe. How does this look?

Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.017 est
IBU: 60
Color: 11.5

11 lbs 2-row US 78.6%
2 lbs Munich 14.3%
.5 lbs C80 3.6%
.5 lbs C40 3.6%

20g Centennial FWH
20g Citra 20 min
20g Citra 10 min
20g Citra 5
20g Citra 0 (all hops will remain in the kettle during chilling)

Mash @ 150 for 90 min.

with only 3oz of late hops, no dry hop and < 0.9 BUGU, this looks more like a imperial pale ale to me. no IPA should be without a dry hop

That looks really good to me. You won't need a 90 minute mash, as it should be converted in 60 minutes. I'm metric challenged so I won't comment on the grams for the hopping.

with only 3oz of late hops, no dry hop and < 0.9 BUGU, this looks more like a imperial pale ale to me. no IPA should be without a dry hop

According to beersmith this falls on the upper end of an IPA, 60 ibu. I don't want to brew a hop bomb. I understand that most people dry hop their IPAs, but i do not think every IPA must be dry hopped. I could always dry hop before kegging if the hop aroma or flavor isn't what I want.

That looks really good to me. You won't need a 90 minute mash, as it should be converted in 60 minutes. I'm metric challenged so I won't comment on the grams for the hopping.

I was just reading some posts about using longer mash times to help with attenuation. Beersmith is predicting an FG of 1017 and my thinking was maybe a 90 min mash could get it down closer to 1012.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would hopstand the citra. All in after temp drops to 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Id be suprised if there is a commercial double ipa thats worth a damn that doesn't dry hop. Aroma is a huge part of a beer and co2 carries away a ton of it during fermentation, which is a big reason for dry hopping only after its finished. Id at least toss an oz in. If you want a lower final gravity to get a dryer beer, then the lower mash temp you have should help,, but not sure mashing an extra half hour will effect it. If you really want to help it, toss in like .75 lbs of dextrose.

Here is what i ended up picking up from the LHBS. A little different than the original, but should be a good IPA.

Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.017 est
IBU: 70.6
Color: 10.8

9 lbs 2-row US 78.3%
1.5 lbs Munich 13.0%
.5 lbs C80 4.3%
.5 lbs C40 4.3%

.75 oz Centennial FWH
1 oz Amarillo 30 min (LHBS was out of Citra)
1 oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
1 oz Amarillo 0 min
dry hop with 1.5 oz centennial

Mash @ 152 for 60 min.

Thanks everyone for your help in figuring this one out. I will be sure to post how it turns out.

Brewed this one a few months ago and kegged it and forgot about it for a few weeks. I ended up skipping the dry hop on this one, mostly due to a vacation and not wanting to deal with it. Had a home brew tasting with 30 friends over the weekend and this IPA was a hit with almost everyone, both IPA drinkers and non.

this one will be brewed again and again!!

thanks again to everyone that helped figure this one out.

Back