IPA Bitter - Stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdines

Reaction score
Hi

I started an IPA Bitter about 11 days ago. Brewing started fine but after three days I stired the brew with a disinfected stirer. I got a massive blow off of CO2 when I did so and the brew nearly went over the top of the bin. This was recommended in one of my brewing books as a good thing to do.

Since then the brew has seemed to have stopped brewing completely. Now there is no CO2 being produced at all.

Having just produced a very drinkable Pils which sat on the cake for over a month that even towards the end produced the odd bubble of CO2 now and again this is quite alarming.

Temperature was a near constant 22 degrees.

Any suggestions/help will be gratefully received.

Thanks
:tank:

Take a hydrometer reading. It is the only way to know for sure if you are stuck. If you are close to your expected FG, then the yeast has probably done all of its work and is just cleaning up after itself.

I stired the brew with a disinfected stirer. I got a massive blow off of CO2 when I did so and the brew nearly went over the top of the bin. This was recommended in one of my brewing books as a good thing to do.

Since then the brew has seemed to have stopped brewing completely. Now there is no CO2 being produced at all.

Just going by your statement of "seemed to have stopped brewing" - I think you're noticing a lack of bubbles in your airlock.

Consider that all the CO2 which was released when you stirred came from somewhere..... and now it is being replaced. You aren't seeing bubbles because the CO2 is being absorbed again into the beer. Take a hydrometer reading in a week or two.. relax.

Read more HBT instead of those brewing books. You'll make better beer :mug:

Latest posts

Back