IPA and Sleep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo311

Reaction score
Pretty much every time I drink 2 or more IPA's in the evening, the next morning around 5 or 6 AM I wake up wide awake. It doesnt matter how tired I am or how late I went to bed.

Does this happen to anyone else? Or has anyone ever heard of this and can explain why?

Nope can't say I have. Do you find it's with the same IPA or any? If it's with the same IPA, which one is it? Also, how late do you consume them? Maybe I drink mine too early. ;)

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/06/why-you-always-wake-up-early-after-a-night-of-drinking/

Given that the average person metabolizes alcohol at a rate of around 0.01% to 0.02% per hour, a person with a BAC in the range of 0.06 — 0.08 immediately before dozing off will finish processing the sauce in his or her system after about four or five hours. Ever woken up bright and early after a rowdy bout of late-night/early-morning boozing? Now you know why: the clearance of alcohol from your body probably triggered a rebound effect, ripping you right out of the deepest period of your sleep cycle.

Pretty much every time I drink 2 or more IPA's in the evening, the next morning around 5 or 6 AM I wake up wide awake. It doesnt matter how tired I am or how late I went to bed.

Does this happen to anyone else? Or has anyone ever heard of this and can explain why?

Happens to me too.

Do you have two toddlers running around? Wake me up at 4-5AM all the time. :)

I agree with the idea that maybe you need to double down and try 4 and see when you wake up? You know... for science....

Yep, 36. Sucks.

I dont think it happens with others beers. But happens with too much whiskey sometimes.

I just turned 36 last week and haven't experienced this myself. I may have to try this... Lately I could sleep in if I could. What time do you consume these IPAs? ;)

@TechyDork, I have a 4 & almost 7 year old. Knock on wood they usually never get up before 7am. If they do it's maybe 6:30am the earliest and I can count those times on one hand.

Back