IPA a bit gloopy after primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meanyeb

Reaction score
I have a query about Coopers IPA. I have syphoned it into the king keg for secondary and tasted a tiny bit. Its very gloopy, so although it tastes like I think it should, the consistency is bit wrong. Is this normal for this stage, and can I expect more fluid beer after secondary/maturation in a few weeks? Cheers
Eamon

It should never be goopy. Did you filter the wort through a screen funnel or strainer bag on the way from the kettle to the fermenter?

did you dilute your wort, or are you trying to ferment syrup right out of the can?

This souldn't happen can you describe your steps in detail?

First ever batch Im afraid, followed the instructions, word for word, I may have over exagerated its gloopiness, but i feel it is a tiny bit thicker than over the counter beer. Mixed the malt extract in 2 litres of boiling water, added DME and Dextrose, topped it up to 5 gallon mark, added yeast, and waited 2 weeks. Hardly wanted to deviate too much fom the instructions for my first batch!

Homebrew does tend to have more mouth-feel than commercial beers. If it gets a stringy look to it, that would be a ropey bacterial infection.

I think the Coopers IPA says to fill up to 23 liters or 6 gallons.

It was filled to just shy of the 23 liter mark, I just quoted gallons above as I this is an American forum, and on further sampling of the beer, I believe now I may have just paranoid. Watch this space in a few weeks!

Back