ipa 3 weeks in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abb610

Reaction score
i havent been able to get around to transfering an ipa with an og of 1.073 and wont until this weekend. can i expect off flavors or esters?

abb610 said:
i havent been able to get around to transfering an ipa with an og of 1.073 and wont until this weekend. can i expect off flavors or esters?

You could just leave it in the primary until you're ready to package it. There's quite a lot of debate as to the necessity of a secondary fermentor.

My best advice is as long. It hasn't been wildly fluctuating temperature wherever you are storing your fermenter is that the beer won't be any off flavors from keeping it in thhe primary for 3 weeks. Many people leave them longer than that, especially with higher gravity beers. I'd check the current gravity of the beer to see if it's reached it's SG yet.

Also, are you dry hopping your IPA? Or have you already? I have found leaving dry hops in a fermenter for more than a couple of weeks can start introducing some vegatale flavors. At least that has been my experience.

does dry hopping in primary effect the taste of hops. I,m a noob but i keep thinking that the yeast cake is going to suck up some flavor haha

does dry hopping in primary effect the taste of hops. I,m a noob but i keep thinking that the yeast cake is going to suck up some flavor haha

I've honestly wondered that one myself. When doing anything with dry hops I've always used a secondary. Though I have a beer I'm going to dry hop in the primary this weekend to see how that goes.

You can totally dry hop in the primary. There will be no detrimental effect from prolonged contact with the yeast cake. I've dry hopped in the primary as well as when using my keg as a secondary and just left the hops in the keg through consumption. Making beer is a very forgiving process that people who are passionate about want to make sure they're doing it right. As Charlie says, "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew."

i always dry-hop in a secondary. gives a fresher taste. besides, the main reason is there's a perfectly good yeast cake for my next batch :D

Back