IPA...3 weeks and still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewInTheFort

Reaction score
I've had an IPA in the primary for just over 3 weeks now and I'm still getting airlock activity. I have not yet checked the gravity readings as I typically wait until I no longer see what I believe is fermentation activity. This is definitely the longest I've ever left something in the primary and I'm getting concerned over the possibly of some off-flavors. Is this normal, should I check or change anything?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say check the gravity to see where you are. If you are getting too low you may have an infection of some sort. If it doesn't look or smell bad funky give it a taste and wait until it finishes. How long did it take after pitching did it take to get started?

Airlock activity does not necessarily mean that it is still actively fermenting. Only sure way to tell is to check with hydrometer. If you get the same reading for two or three days in a row, should be done with primary fermentation. CO2 can build up in the fermenter and changes in temp/barometric pressure can cause it to bubble out of airlock, making it look like active fermentation.

Fermentation started about 24 to 36 hours after pitching yeast. I'll have to double check my notes. I will check with the hydrometer after work, but wanted to pose the question while on lunch to start gathering some feedback. As a side note, the original gravity was 1.044 @ 72 F.

You're probably good, especially with a SG of 1.044, assuming you've been fermenting at 65-72 degrees(lower temps can really lag depending on the yeast). Just pull a sample and check the gravity. That's the only way to know for sure. Airlocks can bubble for eons. They are not an indication of fermentation, only a vent for co2. I bottled/kegged 2 batches last week and they were both still bubbling every so often. They had been sitting for 3+ weeks, and hadn't budged a point on the hydrometer in at least a week or two.

Back