Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
Anyone that is in or knows of any good brewerys in eastern Iowa/Davenport/Quad City area. I was there last may and went to Mississippi River Distilling Company and was very impressed. Also went to Front Street Brewing and was not impressed, beers were ok.

Just looking for any good brewerys that have or dont have tours. Also, Any good BBQ in quad city area?
Thanks

Millstream Brewery in the Amana Colonies. It's about 80 miles from Davenport, north west of Iowa City.

I don't know if they do tours, there's a window you can see most of the brewery from the front. They make some pretty good beer. And they've started doing some special runs now that Iowa's increased the allowed ABV.

If you don't want to drive you should probably be able to find their beer somewhere around Davenport.

If you don't mind seeing the sites. Amana's a pretty pleasant little place. Couple of restaurants, cafes, assorted shops. Pleasant old German buildings dotting the streets which house most of the shops.

And the brewery most of the time has Polka going. We "pass" through at least once a year. It's a nice detour from driving in a straight line for hours on I-80. lol

Can't help you much, I'm over on the western side of the state. Old Main brewing in Ames is a decent brewpub, not sure about tours. Most of my knowledge is in the Omaha area.

Great river brewery in davenport has great beer. The brewery is an old gas station. Small cool place next to the arsenal government bridge.

THis is not in Davenport - but just down the road on I-80 (short drive) - while not a brewery, it is a "must stop" if you love beer. They have a HUGE selection of awesome beers. They also have a place right next door where they sell all kinds of beer glasses, etc. Here is their beer list by style
http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departments/Beer/browse.cfm?method=style
Also, there is a brewery a couple minutes away from this place in Coralville - Backpocket Brewing Company. They have some good beers. Couple hundred yards off of I-80.

+1 for Toppling Goliath - one of my favorites. They do not bottle yet but if you are in Iowa City, there are a number of establishments with TG on tap.

I've had their Golden Nugget, Pseudo Sue, and Dorothy's - all awesome brews.

Back