Quantcast

iodophor

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MaltyRod

Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2005
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I'm going to bottle either tonight or tommorow, I will wash and rinse my bottles out with PLC first and then soak in BTF Iodophor do the bottles need rinsed after soaking in the iodophor solution? or can they come straight out and be filled with beer? do they need to dry first?
 

Janx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
24
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Do not rinse. Ideally, invert and let them dry. One of those bottle trees is ideal. Inverting is a good thing because most nasties work with gravity rather than against it, and inverting will help the bottles drain and dry.

Cheers :D
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Janx said:
Do not rinse.

Well--I'll clarify with this: If you don't rinse, make sure you made the Iodophor solution a 12.5 ppm mix. That's 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Anything stronger than that and you DO need to rinse it.
We have some more threads going on Iodophor, but I'm pretty sure I saw something once that said Iodophor is poison unless mixed properly.
 

Janx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
24
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
OK, but if you rinse then it sort of negates sanitizing. You want to avoid rinsing. I guess *maybe* you folks with chlorinated tap water have sterile water, but I wouldn't trust it.

Put it this way...I never rinse and I'm currently on the short list to replace Rehnquist on the Supreme Court. So it can't have hurt me that much ;)

I think Iodophor is poisonous only in the sense that you can get iodine toxicity, but I could be wrong. And iodine toxicity is a big deal. But you'd really have to have a lot left on your bottles to hurt yourself.

Cheers :D
 

Punn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2005
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
its not so much posionous, it is if u are sensitive to iodine or ivp dye, (medical background coming out in me). that would be the only problem, cause i use iodine all the time on patients and no problems if they are not allergic to it. but ppl who are allergic to shell fish will probably need to be told the bottles were cleaned with an iodine solution
 
Top