Iodophor solution stored in bucket created mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I had some Iodophor solution sitting in a closed bucket for about a week and a half and there is black mold growing on the inside of the lid. Anyone know why?

Iodophor only works on something wet with the solution. The bucket lid doesn't come in contact with the Iodophor. You probably had something organic on the lid that became food for the mold. Even if you had sanitized the lid, once it has dried off it can then become contaminated again.

Iodophor only works on something wet with the solution. The bucket lid doesn't come in contact with the Iodophor. You probably had something organic on the lid that became food for the mold. Even if you had sanitized the lid, once it has dried off it can then become contaminated again.

Now that you mention it, it was a 5 gal bucket of pickles at one time. I got it from a friend of mine who owns a restaurant. Probably some pickle juice left on the lid.

Back