Iodophor/sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuzlo

Reaction score
OK. I live in a house that has a septic system, I do not want to Kill it as itjust got replaced a few years ago. The local Janatorial supply store says that will have the same effect on a septic system that bleach based sanitizers will have. Is there a cost effective solution to sanitize my equipment other than ecolox or septilox ($10 for a half pound bag) that is also safe for the environment. Or am I just overconcerned about this?

OK. I live in a house that has a septic system, I do not want to Kill it as itjust got replaced a few years ago. The local Janatorial supply store says that will have the same effect on a septic system that bleach based sanitizers will have. Is there a cost effective solution to sanitize my equipment other than ecolox or septilox ($10 for a half pound bag) that is also safe for the environment. Or am I just overconcerned about this?

I have a septic thats 54 years old and I have owned it since 91 never thought twice about using bleach in the washer. I do add rid ex twice a year and never had a problem. The amount used in washing a load when dumped into a 1000 gallon tank aint gunna do $hit;) to the bacteria in the tank . And a table spoon of Iodopher in 5 gallons isnt even gunna touch it either

Where do you think all that bacteria comes from anyways? Yup your DoDo

I have a septic thats 54 years old and I have owned it since 91 never thought twice about using bleach in the washer. I do add rid ex twice a year and never had a problem. The amount used in washing a load when dumped into a 1000 gallon tank aint gunna do $hit;) to the bacteria in the tank . And a table spoon of Iodopher in 5 gallons isnt even gunna touch it either

Where do you think all that bacteria comes from anyways? Yup your DoDo

I agree, that small amount of Iodophor won't even be noticed by the bacteria in the tank. Same for the bleach in the normal concentrations used for sanitizing and laundry. IMO, Rid Ex is BS. There's enough bacteria entering the septic tank through normal use to more than keep things digesting properly. I think the premise of using Rid Ex is to add more beneficial bacteria. I think it does do that, but it's not necessary. Rid Ex is snake oil folks! I'm sure it won't do any harm, but there are better ways to throw money away.

I agree, that small amount of Iodophor won't even be noticed by the bacteria in the tank. Same for the bleach in the normal concentrations used for sanitizing and laundry. IMO, Rid Ex is BS. There's enough bacteria entering the septic tank through normal use to more than keep things digesting properly. I think the premise of using Rid Ex is to add more beneficial bacteria. I think it does do that, but it's not necessary. Rid Ex is snake oil folks! I'm sure it won't do any harm, but there are better ways to throw money away.

I do it cause SWMBO is paranoid about the septic .. And man that stuff smells like a porta potty after a chili eating contest that's been sitting in 120° heat for a week...

Back