Iodophor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
I am going to run a blow off tube into a bucket full of Iodophor.

Do i need to make it stronger or weaker than normal than i do just to sanitise everything?

Any other concerns i need to worry about?
Thanks for your help

Normal strength would be fine, but I've never seen the need to use sanitizer in the blowoff bucket. When I use a blowoff tube, I sanitize the tube, then use plain old tapwater in the bucket. YMMV.

Allright,
Thank you for your quick responce :)
Got a imperial IPA chillin right now and bout ready to put it into carboy :mug:

I'd only use Iodophor in a blow-off bucket if I was really afraid that little beasties were going to crawl up the blow-off tube and into my fermenting beer. If your fermentation is vigorous enough to warrant a blow-off tube and bucket, you'll have enough CO2 leaving the fermenter to discourage that sort of activity. I would still definitely sanitize at least the fermenter-end of the blow-off tube.

Using the Iodophor solution I used for the brew day is what I do, instead of just dumping all that liquid. It's not necessary, but if your trying to reduce water usage, etc it's a start.

Back