Iodophor or Starsan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahilly

Reaction score
My bottle of Iodophor is almost empty so it's time to stock up on sanitizer. I've never used Starsan but it seems to be the drug of choice around here. Is one better than the other?

I'm a Starsan fan...

There's plenty of starsan vs. iodophor threads around here... Take a look around and you'll find *an* answer... or two.

Both work great. I use Iodophor, but Starsan doesn't have the strong smell. I know it doesn't hurt the beer if you use the right amounts, but it reminds me of being in a hospital everytime I smell it. I hate hospitals...

Both work great. I use Iodophor, but Starsan doesn't have the strong smell. I know it doesn't hurt the beer if you use the right amounts, but it reminds me of being in a hospital everytime I smell it. I hate hospitals...

I use Iodophor, but since I've read some of the debate threads on the topic I've been drawn to trying star-san. The idea of keeping a keg full of solution is attractive, but this might be a deal-breaker. I hate hospitals too.

Yea, Both work.

I use StarSan and like keeping a spray bottle full for quick sanitation. However Idophor is usually much cheaper and also works effectively when mixed fresh.

Use what you like. If you have used Idophor but wonder if something else is better give StarSan a try. Then you can decide for yourself. If you couldn't be happier with Idophor then buy another bottle.

Craig

Tastes Great ................ Less Filling...............

Seems to not matter, I say go for cost savings. That leaves more budget for cost of ingredients!

Back