Iodine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my LHBS sales it for $14 per quart.

I use it for sanitizing everything.

! Tbs per 5 gallons of water seems to work wonders.

Can you use the same iodine that "burns" when you put it on a cut on your body? That was the only time I hated my mom. LOL :mug:

Not sure what your mom used to torture you with.

When you go to the doctor to get stitches they use iodine to clean the wound.

That is the same stuff that I use to do all of my sanitizing. Much cheaper than Starsan and I have never had an infection.

Can you use the same iodine that "burns" when you put it on a cut on your body? That was the only time I hated my mom. LOL :mug:
I only ever got the Hydrogen Peroxide or rubbing alcohol, so I wouldn't know about that...

I use a drop of iodophor to conduct the starch conversion test (the one time I've done it so far, that is...). It stayed orange, so I got good conversion.

Me myself have used iodophor for testing starch conversion and I don't think it's at all a fool proof way of testing conversion. I have used it 10 minutes in to the mash at times and had full conversion and have used it at the end of a 90 minute mash and not had conversion. I don't trust it.

Not sure what your mom used to torture you with.

When you go to the doctor to get stitches they use iodine to clean the wound.

That is the same stuff that I use to do all of my sanitizing. Much cheaper than Starsan and I have never had an infection.

You must be young if you don't know about iodine on wounds :) I'm 68.

Any LHBS should carry Iodophor sanitizer which can be used to test for starch conversion.

I do not think this will work. I tried with some iodophor (Betadine) and it did not turn anything blue.

In a related thread I asked about its shelf life, as my bottle is 5 years old. Then it was suggested iodophor sanitizer would work, so my last batch, I tested the 5 year old LHBS iodine, and the Betadine I got from work.

After the dough in, I started recirculating, and took a sample as soon as it turned clear.
I tested on a white plate both the Povidone Iodine/Iodophor.Betadine (see Wikipedia) + mash solution
and LHBS "starch indicator" (which is http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-apothecary-iodine-tincture-2-usp/ID=prod1544039-product) aka tincture of iodine.

Results - iodophor does nothing, and the starch indicator turned weakly blue. In dark wort the white plate helps. as might a little bit of dilution. I am going to get a fresh bottle of the starch indicator via mail, and then test it against the tincture of iodine if I can find any. Seems the darn pharmacy is more interested in selling crappy wine, cards and chocolate, and developing photos, than it cares about basic pharmacy products!

TD

I do not think this will work. I tried with some iodophor (Betadine) and it did not turn anything blue.

In a related thread I asked about its shelf life, as my bottle is 5 years old. Then it was suggested iodophor sanitizer would work, so my last batch, I tested the 5 year old LHBS iodine, and the Betadine I got from work.

After the dough in, I started recirculating, and took a sample as soon as it turned clear.
I tested on a white plate both the Povidone Iodine/Iodophor.Betadine (see Wikipedia) + mash solution
and LHBS "starch indicator" (which is http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-apothecary-iodine-tincture-2-usp/ID=prod1544039-product) aka tincture of iodine.

Results - iodophor does nothing, and the starch indicator turned weakly blue. In dark wort the white plate helps. as might a little bit of dilution. I am going to get a fresh bottle of the starch indicator via mail, and then test it against the tincture of iodine if I can find any. Seems the darn pharmacy is more interested in selling crappy wine, cards and chocolate, and developing photos, than it cares about basic pharmacy products!

TD

Iodophor has worked for me, and it works for others:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Iodine_Test

Read the section titled "Iodine Solutions" in the link.

Need to be careful when getting Tincture of Iodine. Some of it is now colorless, so it will not do a darn thing for you.

DeafSmith,

Thanks for the link! I think I would need to dilute my iodophor with some ethanol in order to get it to work for me. Also I will need to get a stick of chalk. Great ideas!
I can get some lugols solution, we use at work on occasion, but it's pricey at $40 per 100ml

TD

Back